Roman harbour

Started by Dune, April 13, 2019, 05:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Working on a new image, of which these are preliminary tests. It'll be a harbour, with this city wall in the background. Second render is PT.

Dune

Can anyone help me get a decent tuff wall? Stones preferably about 15cm high 40 wide, like the second photo. Maybe someone living near such walls is able to make a photo (in shadow), usable as texture?

sboerner

No Roman walls in upstate New York, I'm afraid. But maybe something here – this is my go-to texture site and as often as not has what I need:
https://www.textures.com/browse/bricks/11

A search for "tuff wall" on alamy.com also turned up some photos, but I'm sure you've already scoured the web. It's hard to find large brick wall files to avoid repetition.

Nice fortification. Your model?

Dune

Thanks Steve. Good of you to remind me of that site. I've got a login, so I had another search. And yes, I've just built it, along with some ships I need. They all still need work though.

DocCharly65

Sorry - Although we have an old Roman bath in our region, I suspect that the foundation (more is not left) does not provide good textures.

Test 2 seem close to the reality in my eyes. I am looking forward to what comes here. Roman harbour sounds so good!

WAS

I like #3's brickwork the best. Wish I could help with the wall textures  but nothing around me that old.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on April 13, 2019, 08:57:53 AM
Can anyone help me get a decent tuff wall? Stones preferably about 15cm high 40 wide, like the second photo. Maybe someone living near such walls is able to make a photo (in shadow), usable as texture?

How about these:

https://freepbr.com/materials/old-stone-wall-pbr-material/

https://3dtextures.me/2018/02/11/brick-wall-009/
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Thanks Bobby, I didn't know those sites yet. Doug helped me with some textures too, and I think I've found something that will suit for now. We'll see what the client thinks, after I've done the whole harbour. This is just a (bit extended) test for background stuff. Path traced by the way.

mhaze

Great start, really looking forward to the development of this.

Hannes

Looks great!
(wish I could read latin... ;))

otakar

I get so excited every time I see a new Dune thread. There's bound to be some amazing stuff. Never disappoints me :)

The walls look great already. Being able to model stuff up yourself is such a giant advantage. Love the horse, too and its natural pose.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on April 15, 2019, 01:42:32 AM
Thanks Bobby, I didn't know those sites yet. Doug helped me with some textures too, and I think I've found something that will suit for now. We'll see what the client thinks, after I've done the whole harbour. This is just a (bit extended) test for background stuff. Path traced by the way.

Far more realistic of a fort which wouldn't be too concerned with uniform artistic brickwork. So the bricks would likely be sources from whatever material readily available.

PT seems to be doing a great job with the barrels and the gateway.

Any reflection on the stone? The geometry seems to be missing a bit of lighting from ambient sources and highlight reflection.

Dune

Thanks for your support, guys. Yes, it's great to be able to model stuff. Years ago I couldn't model at all, and had to rely on others, but some of the people on this forum encouraged getting my hands on it, and I'm really glad.
So yesterday I made a Roman amfora, and put a bunch together as 5x2m rows, procedurally textured. Nice for in that harbour later on. Testing here. PT really does a great job at the shadowed areas. Now I can only wish it to be as fast as RT  ;) , especially for big final renders (this took only 1hr, RT 21mins). The only thing different is slightly more dirt on the RT walls.
The horse is a rigged  DAZ horse, with added homemade stuff (not as detailed as Steve's though).
There's no reflection on the stones, and I guess you're right that this kind of stone needs a bit. Actually they built the 80cm walls of various stones (depos from the glaciers), and added a layer of neatly cut tuff to finish it, but it's hard to find the exact tuff stone in a decent size. Hope they settle for this.

Hannes

What a difference! Looks great!

mhaze

Amazing! The modelling is excellent and beautifully textured.