The Last - Work in Progress

Started by Volker Harun, October 29, 2007, 07:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volker Harun

The attached image is a try to get some realistic looking architectual procedurals. It uses the hints Efflux shared in various threads.

The displacements are a max of 70m high, the shadows will need some soft light settings.

More to come ...

P.S.: The colour shades are caused by J Meyer's clouds discovery.

old_blaggard

Holy crap!  This looks amazing!  How did you manage to get those pipe shapes?  Volker, you've really struck it big here.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

nvseal

I comlpletely agree with Old_blaggard. This is looking freaking amazing! Can't wait to see the final...and maybe even...a tgd. ;) Anyway, keep up the good work.  :o

dhavalmistry

a sci-fi industrial area....geez it must be one hell of a complex node network....did you use anything else other than functions like image masks or something??
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

cyphyr

This is lookin' very sweet indeed. Cant wait to see the final.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bigben

Looking very good.

It looks like overlapping displacements... might be interesting to multiply the displacement functions to get more block-like structures than "pipes"?

efflux

Cool work Volker. I never got back to this cityscape idea. I thought there might be to many limitations but maybe not. I especially like the colours you've used here and the pipework look. Does this take a while to render?

FrankB

Great stuff, Volker. That's going to be pretty useful for distant views. Looking forward to the tgd.

Regards,
Frank

Volker Harun

Attached is a view of the nodes.

The pipe-look is due to the Merge Shader in the 'BuildingScale'-group.
It gets two versions of combined positive by negative building shapes.

Thanks for the backslapping, I'll continue soon.

Volker

Efflux: It is slow, the above render took 1 hour (yawn).

efflux

I started down this road but was thinking in a Mojo way so thought there were some limitations but maybe it's got a lot in it. My original graph was not good but I never got around to fixing it. Renders were slow which made it hassle. I noticed you used nearest integer. I was going to try using that for this kind of thing. I've not studied the full workings of your graph yet but I will do so at some stage.

Will

a funny little side note Volker is actually identical with function in my mind now. heh funny that. Great work, are you going to leve it like this or are you going to texture lights and stuff to it?

(and for those wondering nvseal= planets; bigben= large scale experiments I'm sure I can think of one for everyone if I think hard enough.)
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Volker Harun

I am rather for an abandoned world ... at the moment.
Going to add some voronoi structure underneath (for distribution?) ... I am going to surprise myself, and maybe I am luck again.

It surely is capable of producing a DeatStar.

efflux

This is one of the reasons I was not too enthusiastic about the technique in TG2. It's best to have something a bit rougher and less angular. The steep steps basis function in Mojoworld allows you to create grids and have smooth corners. I did use other techniques but found it quite difficult to get something interesting when it came to surfacing. Mojo has problems with surfacing on very steep slopes. I think TG2 may be different in this respect. I don't know yet how we could create a more rounded appearance. This would facilitate using all TG2s more natural surfacing better but who knows yet, a geometric style cybercity may well be fine. Sadly, I can't get heavily into this. I have one render which is going on Renderosity tomorrow then I have to stop for a while to sort out the horrendous backlog of other stuff I have to do. I also want to do some more general work on building up more complex surfaces for more interest in one planet. There are no end of avenues to explore. Impossible to do it all.

Volker Harun

A warp shader would influence the grid.

rcallicotte

I would be jealous, but I know what you do for this group.  GREAT JOB!!!   ::)

;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?