"Bad Displacement" in Real Life

Started by WAS, July 27, 2019, 05:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

This is what I was talking about awhile back with Dune. Sometimes we will create displacement in Terragen and sometimes we may use a seed or or settings that we may call "wrong" cause it gives random peaks, or the lateral looks to jagged. If I was going through seeds I might skip something like this cause of the peaks or some of the jagged lateral going over the sedimentary.

This is Three Finger jack in Oregon. A remnant of a larger shield volcano.

WAS

Some more examples.

Definitely going to think twice about seeds now, and have new ideas. Conglomerate is one I've been wanting to do better and that first image wow. What a goal.

DannyG

Those last few images look like Old Mojoworld Spires and general displacements
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

I remember a MacGyver episode (Season 2 Episode 8 - "Eagles") where MacGyver landed on top of one of those pointy peaks while flying a hang glider.  ;)

WAS

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on July 29, 2019, 06:01:25 PM
I remember a MacGyver episode (Season 2 Episode 8 - "Eagles") where MacGyver landed on top of one of those pointy peaks while flying a hang glider.  ;)

Hahaha, I love that show. I used to a be a huge Richard Dean Anderson fan.

RichTwo

That is the kind of things I wish I could recreate - the randomness and chaos, and yet seemingly orderly landforms that Nature alone creates. Whenever I see those in one of my renders, it's due to too much of something - displacement, warp, fractal parameters, you name it.  It'd be great to, say have randomly spiked towers that wouldn't come to a sharp point - some way to make them look like you did something "bad".
They're all wasted!

WAS

Quote from: Rich2 on July 30, 2019, 05:34:34 PM
That is the kind of things I wish I could recreate - the randomness and chaos, and yet seemingly orderly landforms that Nature alone creates. Whenever I see those in one of my renders, it's due to too much of something - displacement, warp, fractal parameters, you name it.  It'd be great to, say have randomly spiked towers that wouldn't come to a sharp point - some way to make them look like you did something "bad".

Yeah I know what you mean there. Though to your point on spiked towers, this could be achieve with a voronoi billows, decent scale, and than have a higher contrast, and negative offset to get "dots" and than use the soft maximum node to clamp the peaks of the circles, and that should create towers with flat tops.