Functions Academy

Started by archonforest, August 08, 2019, 12:15:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

Quote from: Oshyan on August 31, 2019, 06:14:34 pmHi N-drju, you are right to ask about a status update! Jon (Hetzen) volunteered to help us set it up and moderate it, and given his experience and ability with Function Nodes I think he's an ideal choice. So we've been talking behind the scenes with him to nail down the specifics of how to handle it. We've just about settled on how to implement and actual implementation will follow shortly!

- Oshyan

GREAT! Thanks Hetzen for taking responsibility and for volunteering!!!!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

N-drju

Digging on...

I found a good resource that allows to visualize trigonometric functions on a coordinate chart. All you have to do is to enter a desired function, define arguments, values and you can start drawing. Here's what I got after pulling an "Infinite monkey theorem" of my own :P :

functions.png

And here is the link:

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/w9jrdpvsmk

Feel free to use and abuse it. It is recommended though that you get at least rudimentary understanding on what trigonometric functions are. Don't get me wrong - I'm not being cocky. I myself am not maths genius but I felt a lot more confident when I got myself acquainted with some definitions. Hence, the suggestion.

From example above, I think it is safe to say...

1. ...that trigonometric functions, when translated into 3D environment, may be used to easily and procedurally create certain types of terrains. Dunes or hills being most evident examples.

2. ...that making a trigonometric function basically means drafting an equation that describes it.
3. ...that each trigonometric function will take a different "path" depending on the function itself as well as arguments, values and axis it takes.
4. ...that trigonometric functions may take virtually unlimited number of arguments. However, not all will look coherent when visualized (and neither will the 3DCG that uses it.)

Hope this helps! If there is anything that needs to be corrected in this post, please point it out. Meanwhile, I'm diving back in to the crystal clear sine waves.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"