Subsurface experiments

Started by KyL, October 15, 2019, 07:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyL

Hi guys,

I have been playing a bit with the subsurface scattering options of the upcoming release, and it's time to take this out of the Alpha section ;)

Here is a little jade thing:
tgout-018 1h33m21s v4.4.38.1.jpg

RogueNZ

Heck yes! This has been a long time coming haha

WAS

Quote from: KyL on October 15, 2019, 07:17:16 PMHi guys,

I have been playing a bit with the subsurface scattering options of the upcoming release, and it's time to take this out of the Alpha section ;)

Here is a little jade thing:
tgout-018 1h33m21s v4.4.38.1.jpg

Looks great. I have about a hundred different translucent stone and crystal setups that would look great finally with better subsurface scattering.

Request A good test would be a wave, with you know scum on top breaking up the light into the water interacting with the wave shape.  I Haven't seen this done and it seems like a go-to for TG.

DocCharly65

KyL

Oshyan

You have a way with materials :)

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: KyL on October 18, 2019, 05:36:42 PMsome marble:
tgout-012 37m09s v4.4.38.1.jpg

Ahhh, this is satisfying to see. No more hard shadows where should be some light. Would be nice to see some veinage.

Dune

That is another really fine example!

Hannes

That's gorgeous!!!!! You're indeed the SSS pioneer!

KyL

sjefen

I can't wait for this feature.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

RogueNZ

Do you mind sharing your experience on render times, and what works well in terms of settings for a good balance of quality versus render time?

KyL

Sure. Render times are actually in the filenames of the pictures so if you open any of them in a new tab you will see the render time.
Usually it is between 30min and 1h to get a nice clean 2k image on my machine (threadripper 2950x with 32 threads)

In general I render using AA6, as most of the objects I used with subsurface are quite smooth and not very challenging to sample. I increase the number of path to 64 to get a nice clean subsurface. For animation you could probably go lower.

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Quote from: KyL on October 21, 2019, 08:49:07 AMSure. Render times are actually in the filenames of the pictures so if you open any of them in a new tab you will see the render time. 
not on my computer in Google chrome..just an index.php and the size
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist