Ice Age

Started by Dune, November 20, 2019, 02:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

As winter approaches, I had this urge to do some snow again. End of the big Ice Age scene as a matter of fact, at the edge of the hige ice sheet covering Northern Europe (and more), only witnessed by our legendary predecessors, 4 Neanderthal daredevils, venturing across an old snowfield.
Yesterdays work still needs adjustments though. I had huge fake stones on top, but they can be more vertically stretched, also have to get rid of some dark areas where ground seeps through the ice, and I thought I masked out the huge scratches in the ground (caused by the ice travelling over ground) where it's covered by old snow, but the mask doesn't work properly yet.

Actually I was hoping to find a way to use displacement intersection to place the old snow fields, but couldn't get that to work with the ice sheet there as well. So this is just by mask. And no compute terrain used as a bonus.

Stormlord

A very nice scenery Dune.
At first sight I had this thought in my mind. If no one doesn't know that there are 4 Neanderthals in the picture, no one would see them!
But I guess it's not about the Neanderthals right?

STORMLORD

Dune

I wanted a huge scene from above, but also to show it's huge, hence some guys wandering around. But it's sometimes difficult to show the vastness of some terrain, especially on a small render.

Dune

Got it figured about the displacement intersection, just derived a mask earlier in the string.
I tried pulling the ice sheet shaders through a glass shader's color input, set decay to 150m and density to 10 and also tried 50, rendered in PT, but it doesn't seem to work. Maybe it only works on objects or parts off the planet? Anyone willing to share ice SSS variables?

Hannes

No idea so far, but HOLY COW, how can you keep the overview in this node mess???? :o :o :o

DocCharly65

Quote from: Hannes on November 21, 2019, 08:47:32 AMNo idea so far, but HOLY COW, how can you keep the overview in this node mess???? :o :o :o
dito ;)

Dune

It's all quite logical though, and naming every node does a lot!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on November 21, 2019, 08:47:32 AMNo idea so far, but HOLY COW, how can you keep the overview in this node mess???? :o :o :o
ha ha ha ha, my thought eggs ackley!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist