spacing variation bug?

Started by Dune, November 30, 2019, 06:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Why is that spacing is uneven with a zero variation? No matter if I sit them on ground or free float. Very negative spacing variation doesn't help. Object is exactly at 0/0/0.
Obviously I need a filled row, with only minor variation, but certainly not this much.

cyphyr

Is it still uneven if it is on un-displaced ground?
Maybe a smoothing filter that branches off your main node graph and is only used for the "Sit on Terrain".

Confirmed (surprisingly!) see attached :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

I made an example too, and also found that it already was the case in 4.4.36.

And another thing is that with spacing variation of zero, and pop width is similar to spacing width, no instances are made. That similarity is needed to get just one row, as soon as spacing a fraction less, you get two rows. I remember it used to be so that with similar values, you wouldn't get any instance.

Dune

That smoothing shader did the trick, thanks Richard! But it's still strange.

WAS

Perhaps something to do with population location calculations, trying to keep it on the best suitable face region for an object, hence the smoothing being a fix.

Dune

The altitude likely has influence on the instances' locations, but if you float a pop (or have a pretty flat ground), that shouldn't be the case.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on December 02, 2019, 02:23:57 AMThe altitude likely has influence on the instances' locations, but if you float a pop (or have a pretty flat ground), that shouldn't be the case.

While it is "free floating" in title, perhaps it utilizes some sort of invisible plane which gives it the same effect as anchored to a surface?

Dune

Yes, but I suppose that would be even flatter than a smoothed surface.

WAS

Yeah you'd think. It may be in appearances if you saw it but the geometry/texture smoothness the smoothing shader effects it makes me wonder if this is just some sort of calculation issue for best placement (or natural placement) along a surface.