delete erosion plugin causes crash

Started by Dune, April 13, 2020, 09:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I encountered this problem today. I tried several times to delete Daniil's shader from the node setup, but every time TG crashed. No matter if I unhooked all masking and disabled it; crash. I had to open in text editor to cut it out.
Anyone else having this problem?

KlausK

Nope.
But I use only the free version of classic erosion and my test network did not have a lot of nodes.
I can delete it right out of a network, no disabling and/or disconnecting needed.
To be sure I just downloaded it again today and reinstalled.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

I usually can delete it, but not this time. I'm on a frontier version, so I'll do a little test...

Matt

If you're using the 4.5 build from the alpha forum, this is something I'm aware of and currently debugging.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Also, please post issues related to builds you download from the alpha section in the alpha section. There are a number of new and experimental things in the v4.5 builds!

WAS

Sometimes this just happens. May not be alpha version. Happens to me with DKCE or even just regular shaders. There are times TG won't let me delete the default SSS or fractal terrain without crashing until I do a full reboot.  ::)  Been this way since TG2.

Matt

Quote from: WAS on April 13, 2020, 02:32:26 PMSometimes this just happens. May not be alpha version. Happens to me with DKCE or even just regular shaders. There are times TG won't let me delete the default SSS or fractal terrain without crashing until I do a full reboot.  ::)  Been this way since TG2.

Can you provide a scene where this happens, along with steps we can follow to reproduce it?

Ulco's crash is different; it's specific to v4.5 and that one shader.

Dune

Good to know, Matt. I was about to send you the file, but that's not necessary I guess. I will post in alpha from now on, but didn't relate it specifically to the latest build. Sorry.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on April 13, 2020, 05:07:53 PMCan you provide a scene where this happens, along with steps we can follow to reproduce it?

Like I stated, it's entirely random. Such as loading the default scene shipped with TG and it's default simple shape and fractal terrain shader. It just happens at random. Some sort of conflict in the framework more than anything with the shaders I figured.

Matt

Quote from: WAS on April 14, 2020, 03:12:12 AMLike I stated, it's entirely random. Such as loading the default scene shipped with TG and it's default simple shape and fractal terrain shader. It just happens at random. Some sort of conflict in the framework more than anything with the shaders I figured.

I have not been able to reproduce it, so if you can think of anything you might have been doing - or Terragen was doing - when this occurs, let me know. Until then I am working in the dark. You're not rendering an image while deleting nodes, are you?

WAS

No, it literally be like, for example starting up TG, fresh default shipped XML, and going to delete the starting shaders to do my own thang' and it just CTD. It's been mentioned a lot in the forums random crashes with deleting nodes or hookin them etc, but like I mentioned, I think it may be the framework itself and Windows. I've gotten so used to it that I just restart when it happens but next time I'll check logs and such, but as far as doing anything, no, nothingg besides deleting nodes in a blank project, or in other instances deleting other nodes, but not rendering or anything, though I have done that in the past, no lie but that's an immediate "Doh" sorta moment where I know why.

Since it will happen over and over regardless of fresh TG process i assume it's gotta be something happening with OS and TG running, and all the TG work overtime, or another process I use interfering.

Matt

1) If you start Terragen fresh, and then delete one of those nodes, what percentage of these runs would you say it crashes on the first delete?

2) Does it crash if the 3D Preview has finished rendering before you delete the node?

3) Please try running with the command line switch -no3dpreview (including the dash) and see if that changes the stability.

Question to everyone else: Does anyone else have Terragen crash when deleting nodes? Can we find some commonality among systems where this is happening (e.g. hardware, drivers, Windows version)?

Dune

I do, very occasionally, and I think it has to do with the preview being busy, and perhaps after a long session (so a lot of memory used up). I'll keep an eye open for such occurences.

WAS

I'll give those suggestions a try. As far as frequency maybe 1/20 (maybe even less frequent, hard judge off top of my head). Not very frequent, but over the years have seen it a lot. I believe I've tried pausing the preview when frustrated with the same crash over and over, however.

Edit: I made a shortcut -no3dpreview, I'll use this mode for awhile and see if it shows.

Matt