Distorting the edge of a distance shader ???

Started by pclavett, May 02, 2020, 11:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pclavett

Is there any way of distorting the edge of a distance shader (or painted shader) so as to not have a straight line. The warp shader does not seem to work with the distance shader. Any way around this ??? The only way that I have found that may break the straight line was producing a fractal and substracting it but despite the breakup.....you can still find a straight edge when you look from a distance.... and the fractal breaks all the distance chader and not just the edge !
Sorry for bothering you.....just coming back after years of inactivity with Terragen and rather rusty ! Thanks !

Dune

With the painted shader you can switch from final position to position in terrain and it should work to warp. Distance shader doesn't, afaik. Perhaps use a simple shape instead or a get position from texture and some math... depends on what you want to achieve.

terp

Quote from: Dune on May 02, 2020, 11:45:06 AMWith the painted shader you can switch from final position to position in terrain and it should work to warp. Distance shader doesn't, afaik. Perhaps use a simple shape instead or a get position from texture and some math... depends on what you want to achieve.
Dune, I just posted something like pclavett in another thread.   Could you elaborate on "math" for me?
I just want a warpable sphere.   I'm sure there's a sin/cos way to do this...?   Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Terp

WAS

Could use the Distance shader ran through a surface layer, with a breakup shader with large octave PF to simulate it mixed with low octave, or whatever you want that looks good.

Dune

You could do something like this.

terp

Quote from: Dune on June 16, 2022, 03:31:45 AMYou could do something like this.
Dune!   That definitely got me started down the path.  Thanks so much!

terp

Quote from: WAS on June 16, 2022, 02:14:06 AMCould use the Distance shader ran through a surface layer, with a breakup shader with large octave PF to simulate it mixed with low octave, or whatever you want that looks good.
Thanks WAS - I want to be able to manipulate the base shape in wild ways...but this is a technique I will look into for other uses.  Much appreciated.