Machine requirements vs time for some quality 5 - 10 min animation??

Started by CamdenJayce, July 22, 2020, 07:04:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CamdenJayce

Big question: I have no experience with Terragen animation: But if I wanted to make a some standard quality (not extreme quality) animation of 5-10 min and not go thru a render farm: What kind of machine requirements or how many machines in a what category do I need to have to have it rendered in a week to ten days? How much money do I need to invest in computer power? This is just a question where I am searching for some kind of feel for what I am dealing with: But if somebody have thought this thru, or actually know, an answer would be great

Kadri

How much money do you want to spend? Buy the best pc with the fastest cpu you can buy for that money.

Kadri

If i have calculated it right a 10 minute animation with even 1 minute per frame would take 10 days.
10 minutes per frame would take 100 days.

I had animation with 5 minutes per frames. But i had some that had 3 hours and more per frame.
Speed depends on the cpu too etc.... So your question looks easy but is harder then it looks to give a good answer.

KlausK

Hi, no idea about prices atm but the general rule should be what Kadri wrote.
Lots of CPU processing power / cores (but not to many because atm TG cannot use more than 64? not sure)
and the highest speed possible.
No need for a fast graphic card (for rendering) because TG does not use it.

Take a look at the this:
https://planetside.co.uk/terragen-4-benchmark/
There is a page with all the result of render times of the machines used.
That might help to get a overview about what you might expect with a certain configuration.
https://planetside.co.uk/terragen-4-benchmark-results/

In the long run you might be better off and "cheaper" using a render service.
If you calculate the power consumption of a strong computer running 24 hours for many days
and that times a few machines and all the time investment building, configuring and controlling the render process...etc everything else involved.
There are people here who use render services. Maybe they chime in.
CHeers, Klaus

ps: Kadri`s calculation on render times IS the reason why there are not more animations posted here. And he used short render times, go figure ;)
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate

Kadri

Quote from: KlausK on July 22, 2020, 08:12:38 pm...
ps: Kadri`s calculation on render times IS the reason why there are not more animations posted here. And he used short render times, go figure ;)
:)

If you know how long a frame renders on your pc in average take a look for the faster CPU's out there.
Look at the benchmarks relative to your pc. You can kinda extrapolate from there how long it would take with those CPU's.
It is not exact but maybe the closest you can get how long it would take to render with those CPU's.

WAS

Quote from: KlausK on July 22, 2020, 08:12:38 pmLots of CPU processing power / cores (but not to many because atm TG cannot use more than 64? not sure)

This definitely is the most important aspect aside from RAM.

Single-Core clock speed needs to be pretty good for TG to really fill those buckets with efficiency by contrast of CPU core count. I suggest a low end of 2.2ghz with a boost of at least 3.0ghz. A Epyc can achieve this, but a 64 core ROME may not see peak potential in Terragen because it isn't NUMA aware as mentioned.