First Image in Ages

Started by Jonathan, August 06, 2020, 11:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

Hi All,

I have done nothing with TG for ages (no excuse given Covid). I was rather taken with a Windows 10 login picture of Torres Del Paine National Park in Chile so downloaded the area from terrain.party (what a great tool for height mapsTorres_Del_Paine.jpgTorres_Del_Paine.jpgTorres_Del_Paine.jpg!) and produced this. Simple render using a rock texture image for the base terrain then mixed in some colour power fractals. I'll keep working on it. Oh and you may be wondering at the sparse vegetation - it's cold, high and sparse there! The other odd feature is the tall spike of rock in the background. It does exist!
Every problem is an opportunity, but there are so many opportunities it is a problem!

Dune

So, maybe say "welcome back"? Great render anyway, not only in size. I see you're still working on it, so here's my thought; maybe use displacement intersection to get some old smooth snowfields (but perhaps that's not possible with an imported heightfield). Also, I would vary the greens and let them gradually fade into the snowy areas, perhaps change its hues in higher areas as well to a less lush green. If you use a loose altitide mask (no final altitudes), you can warp that as well, and have a less regular vegetation line.

Jonathan

Thanks for the advice Ulco. I will carry on working with it :)
Every problem is an opportunity, but there are so many opportunities it is a problem!

Jonathan

Second attempt. Thickened the snow at higher altitudes and added to the terrain colours. I'm quite pleased!Torres_Del_Paine_B.jpg

Dune

pclavett

Nice return...... I am also returning !
Will try that link you included !
Thanks !
Paul