Achieving Reflectivity on an Object (.obj or .tgo)?

Started by RichTwo, October 02, 2020, 03:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Strange. It should be 0 for chrome and metal in general.

Did you do anything to the object? What version of TG? With IOR 10 and base colour 0.8 there is like no reflective effect at all besides light colour bounce.

I'm on 4.5 frontier.

WAS

Hmm. So here is base colour 1. So it seems base colour is acting the opposite of how it used to when "metalness" is 1

RichTwo

Quote from: WAS on October 03, 2020, 02:34:44 PMStrange. It should be 0 for chrome and metal in general.

Did you do anything to the object? What version of TG? With IOR 10 and base colour 0.8 there is like no reflective effect at all besides light colour bounce.

I'm on 4.5 frontier.
I'm not sure if you directed that question to that Richard or this one...  ::)  But other and tinkering with the default shaders I did nothing to the object.  I'm on frontier 4.5.43, the latest to date.
They're all wasted!

cyphyr

Well I can't seem to get rid of the small black areas. You may want to re-texture them so they are not reflective.
Also I can't get a proper Gloss paint look. it all looks very "metalic" which I guess is reasonable given it's coming off the metalness parameter.

Nothing wrong with the model though.

aero.jpg

aero2.tgc
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Probably just slap a reflective shader over the default shaders with desired colours

RichTwo

Thanks again guys!  I'll look into that when I haven't had a few brewskies.  ::)
They're all wasted!

sboerner

QuoteSo it seems base colour is acting the opposite of how it used to when "metalness" is 1
That's possible. As I understand it, when metalness > 0 the value of the base color becomes the surface's metallic reflected color (partially at least, and fully when metalness = 1). So the base color map contains both albedo (for dialectrics) and reflected color (for metals), and metalness blends the two based on the setting and (if one is present) a metalness map.

Taking a peek at the model too . . . coming to this late and probably won't have anything to add to Jordan and Cypher's comments though.

sboerner

Model looks fine. I merged the meshes into four groups to simplify shading. Didn't notice any black areas.

The roughness values I used are small but not zero. Setting roughness to zero seems to disable it altogether - it is the same as setting it to 1. I've never noticed this before, but did some quick tests on a few previous versions (back to 4.4.67) and got the same result. I don't think this is right . . . probably warrants further testing.

Gathered project files are here.

RichTwo

I like the way you combined the 30+ shaders into a simpler and easier to work with four!  Nice work (Blender? I haven't gotten much into that...) Thanks, Steve!
They're all wasted!

sboerner

I used Maya but you could easily merge the meshes in Blender. You also could just reassign the individual meshes to fewer materials. I think you can do that in PoseRay.

Nice model. Curious to see what you plan to make with it.

gao_jian11

I used max to merge into 4 materials for testing. The speed difference between standard rendering and pt is 10 times, pt quality is the highest, and the noise is still obvious. The porthole is made of glass in the standard renderer, and I can't get the glass texture with pbr.

Dune

You can do it in Poseray too. I do that all the time. Materials to groups, then in groups combine those that have similar texture. Then in materials choose 'groups to materials'. You loose the links, but you can relink in there or in TG.

Matt

Quote from: sboerner on October 04, 2020, 12:38:19 AMThe roughness values I used are small but not zero. Setting roughness to zero seems to disable it altogether - it is the same as setting it to 1. I've never noticed this before, but did some quick tests on a few previous versions (back to 4.4.67) and got the same result. I don't think this is right . . . probably warrants further testing.

I am testing the files you uploaded and I don't see anything wrong with the roughness. Roughness 0 looks very different from roughness 1 on all four parts. What part/shader were you changing in the roughness 0/1 renders your posted?
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Quote from: sboerner on October 03, 2020, 10:14:33 PMAs I understand it, when metalness > 0 the value of the base color becomes the surface's metallic reflected color (partially at least, and fully when metalness = 1). So the base color map contains both albedo (for dialectrics) and reflected color (for metals), and metalness blends the two based on the setting and (if one is present) a metalness map.

That's right.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.