Achieving Reflectivity on an Object (.obj or .tgo)?

Started by RichTwo, October 02, 2020, 03:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

QuoteI am testing the files you uploaded and I don't see anything wrong with the roughness. Roughness 0 looks very different from roughness 1 on all four parts. What part/shader were you changing in the roughness 0/1 renders your posted?
Thanks for following up, Matt. I was changing the roughness on the cowl (nose), and didn't see any change. I think it must have just been the angle, though, because I did a followup test (attached) with the same material applied to all of the meshes, and everything behaved as expected. (Apologies - I actually ran this test a couple of days ago but then got busy and forgot to post it.  :-[ )

WAS

Good tests there for comparison of the new metalness and fresnel.

Matt

Thanks Steve. I guess the base colour was different between the metallic and non-metallic renders? At high enough roughness the metal should start to look a bit like the non-metal if the base colour is the same.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

sboerner

Base color is the same in all frames. The only settings that changed were roughness and metalness; those were animated over the six frames. (The maximum roughness setting is 0.8, right?)

Here is another test done at the same time. This is a single rendering. Different objects but only roughness and metalness changed.

WAS

Roughness should be able go beyond 0.8. some PBR materials don't look like their examples without it being 1.

Matt

Quote from: sboerner on October 08, 2020, 12:28:12 PMBase color is the same in all frames. The only settings that changed were roughness and metalness; those were animated over the six frames. (The maximum roughness setting is 0.8, right?)

Here is another test done at the same time. This is a single rendering. Different objects but only roughness and metalness changed.

I wasn't expecting the metal to be that desaturated, but then I remembered that high IOR could cause this. If you're setting an artificially high IOR (the old way to create metals) it should be noted that you don't need to do this with the metalness control and IOR can be set to a realistic value now.

sboerner

That might be it. The IOR on all of the renderings is 2.5, which is the IOR for steel that I found online. Perhaps since it would be painted or anodized the IOR should be reduced to 1.5 or thereabouts. When I have a chance I'll rerun it at that value and repost.

sboerner

Same as before, with IOR set to 1.5 across the board. Fresnel reflectivity is 0.75.

Matt