Could anyone suggest a really sturdy and durable computer brand?

Started by N-drju, October 21, 2020, 04:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Up against another problem: supply of Ryzen 3950x is abundant... but compatible motherboards are scarce as hen's teeth!

What was AMD on...? They make a CPU but fail to provide motherboards for it - way to go...
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

https://www.komputronik.pl/search-filter/757/plyty-glowne-pod-socket-am4

Check here. It's down to market and demand, and PC market in Poland is not that strong to begin with, so the dominating factor, Intel, would be more common than AMD.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Dune

How about this mobo:  Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro? Some mobo's don't work right away with the Ryzen 9 3950X, and some need a bios update. This one works, and is not too expensive either. Can't they just order a good mobo (abroad)?

I've checked a good number of reviews and tests and this configuration will be my purchase:
power supply: Corsair RM750x €135,05
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4. €69,45
memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX - DDR4 - 64 GB: 2 x 32 GB - 288-PIN - 3200 MHz - CL16 - 1.35 V - zwart €265 (2 slots left, so can be extended)
case: Fractal Design Meshify C - Dark TG €99,50
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5GHz 16-Core Processor €761,05
storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB. €336
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro €240,85
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Gaming X 6GB €315
Software: win 10 Pro licence €143

It's under €2400, and when I look at those workstations at Boxx, they are around that price at least, and have less 'in the box'. What's the difference between a workstation and a pc anyway?

And you are probably right that a high end GPU like (RTX 3070) is overkill. As it was still hard to get, I have changed to a lesser GPU, but still one that reviewed very well.

I hope you'll find what you need!

N-drju

Wow! Thank you for so many useful tips guys! Some of them have really let me sort my mind a bit. All of your research combined with mine have put my reasoning back on track a bit.

Quote from: WAS on November 04, 2020, 04:43:20 PMhttps://www.komputronik.pl/search-filter/757/plyty-glowne-pod-socket-am4

Check here. It's down to market and demand, and PC market in Poland is not that strong to begin with, so the dominating factor, Intel, would be more common than AMD.
You are right Jordan. Most customers in my country use computers chiefly for MS Office, Netflix and maybe some gaming. And even the gaming rigs are not quite as advanced as something that is supposed to work with CG.

In fact, Komputronik was my primary choice but... When I started to assemble the parts for Ryzen 3950x with their online configurator it turned out... that there are no compatible motherboards in their shop...

This is really strange, because they do have an am4 socket MBs (like you have researched). Why aren't they showing as compatible then? ::) Are there any other considerations involved apart from the socket type?

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on November 04, 2020, 07:32:26 PMN-drju,

If parts availability in Poland is difficult, you could try a prebuilt BOXX:
https://www.boxx.com/systems/workstations/a-class

Looks like there is one reseller in Poland:
https://www.boxx.com/about/international-resellers#europe

Dell seems to be suppling CD PROJEKT Red with PC's:
https://www.delltechnologies.com/en-us/blog/the-tech-that-brings-cd-projekt-red-games-to-life/
That's a ton of useful info right there D.A. - thank you! Hmmm... BOXX is an interesting option though I am a little bit skeptic regarding the customer support (or lack thereof) for their products.

I did call Dell customer support though, and they said that it is possible to customize one of their products to include the components I need. So that's a good thing. :D I am a little bit afraid of the cost though... However, Dell service centers are plentiful and this is important too. You know, it's not a problem to build a computer. The trouble is where you can take it afterwards if something breaks... 

Quote from: Dune on November 05, 2020, 01:59:03 AMI've checked a good number of reviews and tests and this configuration will be my purchase:
power supply: Corsair RM750x €135,05
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4. €69,45
memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX - DDR4 - 64 GB: 2 x 32 GB - 288-PIN - 3200 MHz - CL16 - 1.35 V - zwart €265 (2 slots left, so can be extended)
case: Fractal Design Meshify C - Dark TG €99,50
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5GHz 16-Core Processor €761,05
storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB. €336
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro €240,85
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Gaming X 6GB €315
Software: win 10 Pro licence €143

As a gamer I can tell you that GTX 1660 is a very good GPU! :D I am sure you will be satisfied, so no regrets. Many people would still kill for that card. In fact, even the GTX 900 series is still going strong.

If I were you (or rather you were me), I'd consider changing the storage device to a Toshiba Canvio. I think they are a bit cheaper but built to last - Toshiba is a very reliable brand (just like "be quiet!" too).
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Thanks Andrzej. I'll have a look at the Toshiba. And good to know your opinion about the 1660. Good choice, it seems :)

Next thing I was worrying about was the setup of the whole new machine. Make partitions (to get the same disk structure for TG) before installing win 10 seems beter than after, and then I learned that there's GPT replacing MBR. Lots to think about. So I found some interesting freeware partitioning software, which also does cloning (Macrorit Partitioning Expert). It's always a bit scary to dive into many years after the last time, but I always managed.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on November 05, 2020, 06:45:32 AMThanks Andrzej. I'll have a look at the Toshiba. And good to know your opinion about the 1660. Good choice, it seems :)

Next thing I was worrying about was the setup of the whole new machine. Make partitions (to get the same disk structure for TG) before installing win 10 seems beter than after, and then I learned that there's GPT replacing MBR. Lots to think about. So I found some interesting freeware partitioning software, which also does cloning (Macrorit Partitioning Expert). It's always a bit scary to dive into many years after the last time, but I always managed.
You can easily set up partitions during the Windows install.  :) Your system will offer you a choice in the course of the process. Unless you wish to do it completely outside any Windows-related mechanism.

You may check this video out (from 10:00 mark) Of course, as long as this is what you want to do:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QvzrmDzciyE

WAS

Check each boards manufacturers page, they will have CPU charts as well as if it needs a bios update. That may be why they aren't listing but it seems like their part pickers tags may just be messed up, cause from what ai recall there were several ready boards listed.

Dune

@Andrzej: are you suggesting to not use win 10, but better have win 7 installed? I still have to buy an extra licence of any OS for the new rig, so I can still choose. Can't really use one of the other win 7 licences, as they are computer-bound, I believe. I might have to check whether the new rig will work on win 7, as that's what I'd prefer of course. Regarding drivers and such...

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on November 06, 2020, 02:34:26 AM@Andrzej: are you suggesting to not use win 10, but better have win 7 installed? I still have to buy an extra licence of any OS for the new rig, so I can still choose. Can't really use one of the other win 7 licences, as they are computer-bound, I believe. I might have to check whether the new rig will work on win 7, as that's what I'd prefer of course. Regarding drivers and such...
Hehe, no, I think you misunderstood me. :D

I just wanted to say that you can prepare partitions during Windows installation, like in the video. This should work for any Windows.

Hmm... I think that you can legally use old Windows, as long as you uninstall it from the previous machine. Just like Terragen - you get a license for one computer, but you can just move the license key to the other machine. However, this is a question for the Microsoft Support. I'd certainly like to hear their opinion on the matter.

Dune

Okay, thanks. I saw some reviews and stuff about that in the meantime, so that isn't a problem anymore. I just need to find out if it's better to use good old win 7 instead of win 10.... (which I'd prefer). I don't mind getting another licence, as I want my 'old' machine to continue working as is.

Sorry about hijacking...

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on November 06, 2020, 06:14:50 AMSorry about hijacking...
That's okay, as it actually contributes to my cause. It's reassuring to see some of your equipment preferences matching mine. ;)

N-drju

I think I have made all the choices for my "Dream Machine". I have sent inquires to three computer shops including Dell and am currently comparing offers. 8) The best bidder wins.

My set will look like the one below. Some minor changes may still take place:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3950x (16 cores, 32 threads)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 1650GTX

MoBo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus PRO
CPU fan: be quiet! Shadow Rock 3
Power supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W
Storage: Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB (black)
DRAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Black
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 270R Windowed

By the way, Dell answered my inquiry first, albeit with many "econo-parts", which I am not entirely convinced to. I'd rather pay a little bit more and have some of the "upper shelf" elements installed. Dell's proposal with all of the "econo-parts" costs a laughable 1200 Euro (net price).
:o But, like I said, the parts used for that set are really basic... and use an MSI motherboard... ::) Which is quite ridiculous.

Still, the above, preferred set is worth just slightly more - 1250 Euro net price. It is still a very affordable solution but the parts are much better. I don't really know what to think of it... But, given that case, power supply and cpu fan generate some savings, I'd say it's still a sturdy and reliable configuration.

What do you guys think?

Dune

Looks good. I checked out your power supply and found this site: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/corsair-rm750x-or-bequiet-straight-power-11.3269836/
Might be of interest to you. I opted for Corsair because of the long warranty, and some say it's even quieter than the Be Quiet!

How come you only want 16gigs of memory? With such power at your hands, I'd go for at least double. Won't cost you the world. And buy it efficiently, so you have spare slots. I go for 2x32 gigs instead of 4x16, e.g.

Btw. what's your idea about using win 7 instead of win 10. I have to buy a new licence anyway, so if my config would work under win 7, I'd be happy. Any ideas why it shouldn't work under win 7, driver wise?