Could anyone suggest a really sturdy and durable computer brand?

Started by N-drju, October 21, 2020, 04:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Hi,

Just yesterday, weeks after the fan replacement, my computer roared, coughed and stopped ventilating the CPU. The fan just stopped and won't start anymore.

The machine is still working, but only at a "notepad usage" level. Any rendering or other demanding task could, effectively, cook the CPU. I am totally devastated with something like this happening right in the course of my transition from a hobby artist into a pro.

I think this might be a sign that it is time to get a new machine...

While I'll try to patch this heap of junk up so that it stays alive for a few more months, I'd like to ask - which computer brands, "Apple" excluded, do you consider most durable hardware-wise? Something that doesn't break down after just four years. Plus, I'd like to get at least a 24 threaded CPU. Durability is the #1 priority though.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

That's too bad. Maybe use a vacuum cleaner to suck out hot air while you work ;D  Or blow fresh in.

Curious what will be answered here, as I'm about to purchase a new machine as well. Just waiting for the newest GPU's to get on the market.

KlausK

yep, that sucks...(no pun intended).

Perhaps some people working in a Studio can tell us what they are using day in day out.
That would be interesting. But as a One-Man-Show buying the components and putting them together
in a box is giving you more "bang for buck", as they say.
Building a computer for use with TG is not as demanding as e.g. a computer for Audio.
Quite easy to configure regarding OS and drivers etc. It`s not that hard.

Only the first computer in my digital life has been a pre-build Dell. State-of-the-Art P4 with 2 MHz :)
Can you believe it. That was in the early 90s, I think.
Since then I have always been building the machines myself. Except for Labtops.

But...that does not help you now, of course.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on October 21, 2020, 06:57:25 AMThat's too bad. Maybe use a vacuum cleaner to suck out hot air while you work ;D  Or blow fresh in.

Why not. I might as well design an insertable ice-cube compartment.

I'm thinking Asus or Dell now. Both are pretty popular and, in case of emergency, their service centers are not light years away. Unlike MSI which literally has one service center in Poland. One service center... for a 38 million nation...

I think I will also request for an older video card to be installed as well as the removal of NIC - this should save some money too. Not sure if this is practiced though...
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

N-drju

Quote from: KlausK on October 21, 2020, 07:15:47 AM(...)

Building a computer for use with TG is not as demanding as e.g. a computer for Audio.
Quite easy to configure regarding OS and drivers etc. It`s not that hard.

(...)

But...that does not help you now, of course.

CHeers, Klaus

Oh, on the contrary. I think you have a point there - having a custom-built computer could at least let me decide what components do I need, instead of buying some overpriced pieces of hardware that will rarely be used.

I have never done it though... My story is entirely different - all of my computers have been COTS.

Dune

I would find information on best components for your use and compose it yourself, then have a renowned computer business put it together. That's what I will do. Putting together myself is just a tiny step too far, though I'm pretty sure it's indeed not that hard.

This is what's on my mind until now:
power supply: Corsair RM750x (2018) (125 euro)..... 10 year garantee.
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 74 euro..... ask if it fits!
memory: 64GB (4 x 16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 C16
case: Fractal Design Meshify C - Dark TG
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5GHz 16-Core Processor.... of Ryzen 7 3700x boxed ??
storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB....
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Extreme4 (~200 euro).... of Asus Prime X570-Pro, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro (!)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 (out later 2020)

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on October 21, 2020, 07:34:59 AMI would find information on best components for your use and compose it yourself, then have a renowned computer business put it together. That's what I will do.

Yep, this is the COA that I'd opt for if I decide to make a custom-built computer. I myself wouldn't even know where to start...  :-X

pokoy

If you are willing to spend some money I would *always* go with server/workstation components for mainboard, CPU/fans and RAM. Either build the system yourself or purchase from a workstation builder who knows what performs best in which config. 
I got some PCs from CADnetwork (cadnetwork.de, they have a configurator to choose CPU/RAM/GFX/HDD) and while they aren't cheap, all of them run nicely for years under really heavy load. Only one of the machines, some 8 years old by now, had a faulty RAM stick recently, another had to have a CMOS battery replacement, that's it.
I'm sure there will be a similar service available in Poland, there has to be a small shop somewhere knowing what they do ;)

N-drju

Quote from: pokoy on October 21, 2020, 08:08:44 AMIf you are willing to spend some money I would *always* go with server/workstation components for mainboard, CPU/fans and RAM. Either build the system yourself or purchase from a workstation builder who knows what performs best in which config.
I got some PCs from CADnetwork (cadnetwork.de, they have a configurator to choose CPU/RAM/GFX/HDD) and while they aren't cheap, all of them run nicely for years under really heavy load. Only one of the machines, some 8 years old by now, had a faulty RAM stick recently, another had to have a CMOS battery replacement, that's it.
I'm sure there will be a similar service available in Poland, there has to be a small shop somewhere knowing what they do ;)

I'm afraid I can't spend too much... The only priority is durability and at least 24 threads @ at least 3-4ish GHz. I just don't think I need a powerful GPU for Terragen and Blender moddeling. Or do I...?

You are right - I have found a reliably looking company in the vicinity of Blue City and they specialize in building computers for graphics designers and moddelers! So it sounds promising. I'll give them a call today.

@Dune - these seem to be pretty high-end and expensive components! I think I'll save up on GPU and RAM. I don't believe I will need anything higher than 4GB / 16GB respectively. Even the Nvidia 900 series is good enough.

Dune

You're right, but if I spread this investment over 8 years or so until (maybe) the next big update, a few hundred euro's will not be a bottleneck. The GPU is relatively the most expensive I think, and the only thing over which a lingering doubt persists.

WAS

If money is a concern I would honestly go a gaming rig, and just choose a better CPU. You'll get the best of both worlds then, as most gaming setups have good memory and size, and usually M.2 plus large backup hdd for projects and assets. Reason I say this is these manufacturers usually have deals in their parts so can get but shaving off a couple hundred while still making a profit. Workstation computers and such will be much more expensive.

That being said, there are still workstations and servers for sale used on eBay and Amazon. Some very decent 24core xeons for example paired with 24-32gb RAM. Buying used always comes with it's concerns though. However been seeing some cheap deals, like 350 for 24core servers.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on October 21, 2020, 09:19:55 AMYou're right, but if I spread this investment over 8 years or so until (maybe) the next big update, a few hundred euro's will not be a bottleneck. The GPU is relatively the most expensive I think, and the only thing over which a lingering doubt persists.

This is what I have in mind too. Something that will last for at least 8-10 years (my first-ever Toshiba laptop was still going strong after ten years when I finally changed it for the MSI).

Hmm, is GPU really that expensive? When I used a configurator on one of the vendors' websites, it was the Ryzen CPU that generated 75% of the cost. ::) Compatible GPU's were dirt-cheap! No more than 5% of what the processor was worth.

Quote from: WAS on October 21, 2020, 01:14:30 PMIf money is a concern I would honestly go a gaming rig, and just choose a better CPU. You'll get the best of both worlds then, as most gaming setups have good memory and size, and usually M.2 plus large backup hdd for projects and assets. Reason I say this is these manufacturers usually have deals in their parts so can get but shaving off a couple hundred while still making a profit.

You are right about that Jordan, but the problem is that multi-threaded CPU's like Ryzen are all very rare here, even with the rigs that are marketed as "gaming" rigs. Seems like vendors believe that i7 - i10 are the peak achievements of digital processing and people just couldn't ask for more.

N-drju

Okay, an update...

So the service guys have thoroughly checked the computer... and found nothing. 😕

The fan works again but now, those idiots must have messed with the configuration somehow. The fan is constantly revving up and down. It works at high RPM for eight seconds, then stops for ten. And the cycle repeats itself.

The cooling is efficient, but I am completely mad with this noise!! 😠 Goddamit! What have they done?!

Dune

Maybe check the BIOS, see what the fan does there? Is there no specific software installed that can 'do' the fans?

N-drju

I have tried "Speedfan" but automatic management does not change a thing. Strangely, there is even no option in BIOS relating to fan curves or fan speeds. I think I'll have to expedite the purchase of a new machine. *sigh*