Could anyone suggest a really sturdy and durable computer brand?

Started by N-drju, October 21, 2020, 04:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Cool. Thanks for the tip Ulco. I'd certainly wish the computer remained silent - my idea though is that it's best to have as many parts as possible coming from a single manufacturer. My logic is that it increases compatibility and makes servicing easier. I'll consider the suggestion though.

Quote from: Dune on November 10, 2020, 02:23:49 AMHow come you only want 16gigs of memory? With such power at your hands, I'd go for at least double. Won't cost you the world. And buy it efficiently, so you have spare slots. I go for 2x32 gigs instead of 4x16, e.g.
Hehe, so I am a minimalist now? :D Well, most of my current projects rarely exceed 14GB RAM, so I thought it's just enough. However, I will leave some extra slots open for more RAM, no doubt.

Quote from: Dune on November 10, 2020, 02:23:49 AMBtw. what's your idea about using win 7 instead of win 10. I have to buy a new licence anyway, so if my config would work under win 7, I'd be happy. Any ideas why it shouldn't work under win 7, driver wise?
Umm... Is this question for me? I did not say that Windows 7 should be used instead of 10.

If you refer to the video, I only wanted to show you how you can set up partitions on (any) Windows install.

Personally, I think I'll just go with Win 10. The computer will be air-gapped anyway, so the alleged Microsoft's spying will be foiled anyway...
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

N-drju

Whoa... Breaking news...

One of the shops I have sent the inquiry to, replied that AMD has just released a new CPU, more efficient than 3950x but within the same price range!

I told them to provide the item's name, so I will let you know which one is it as soon as I learn it myself. Their recommendation is to wait two more weeks until it becomes available. Then, put it into my machine. Interesting.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

N-drju

Quote from: N-drju on November 10, 2020, 04:19:57 AMWhoa... Breaking news...

One of the shops I have sent the inquiry to, replied that AMD has just released a new CPU, more efficient than 3950x but within the same price range!
Ok, they meant Ryzen 9 5950x.

Not really sure if I want it though... It has newer architecture, 0.2GHz faster turbo but at the same time has nominal speed slower by 0.1Ghz compared to 3950x... Not too much difference but is 150EUR more expensive.

KlausK

Quote from: N-drju on November 10, 2020, 04:14:24 AMWell, most of my current projects rarely exceed 14GB RAM, so I thought it's just enough.
Do yourself a favour and buy more RAM instead of the newer CPU. Especially if you can`t afford both.

16gb is just not enough for such a powerful processor and graphic card. They both will suffer from that. It`s a bottleneck.

The argument that your projects did not exceed 14gb is mute - it is the old machine your quoting, projects have limitations because of that. Once your Ryzen flys through your projects they WILL get bigger needing more RAM for sure.

And buying additional RAM later might end up in not being able to buy the same - which is not a problem per se - but might be.
Always best to get the amount of RAM in a bundle of 4 or more (do not use 3 or 5 or something like that). Sometimes using only two sticks of RAM may not allow you to enable quad channel mode (I presume the Ryzen cpu supports that). So four sticks would be needed. You have to check that with the specs of the mainboard you buy.

And we all know that TG uses less cores once the render is over 50% or so. But RAM will still be occupied. So you cannot use your computer to a good measure during that period with other software when there is no RAM left for idle cores.

Money is always an issue but you`d be on a safer side with at least 32gb (even more so 64gb) of RAM.
You are trying to start a business here, right? You cannot afford to loose a client because your computer ran out of RAM and could not finish a render in time...

my2cents

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

That was my idea too.

Didn't know about the 2 versus 4 sticks maybe not working in quad channel mode. I have to check that indeed... thanks.

N-drju

Hello Klaus, and thank you for your insights. :)

I was not aware of the considerations you have mentioned. Until now, I have had a pretty simple (simplistic?) view of RAM as a "space" that is used to handle 3D objects. I did not fully realize that there are such complex interactions going on between the other fixtures.

I think I am able to trickle some more gold for both the CPU and RAM. Seems reasonable after your explanation. And we certainly don't want to disappoint our customers and fans...

N-drju

Quote from: KlausK on November 11, 2020, 07:30:33 PMSometimes using only two sticks of RAM may not allow you to enable quad channel mode (I presume the Ryzen cpu supports that). So four sticks would be needed. You have to check that with the specs of the mainboard you buy.

I checked with my soon-to-be vendor, that quad channel mode is available only with Threadripper series. Neither 5950x nor 3950x use quad channel RAM. But rest assured, 32GB is what I'll opt for.

Nala1977

not to hijack the topic, does anyone have an amd ryzen 5950x? how does it run?
i need to upgrade my machine but i am basicaly  lost on what to buy :)

cyphyr

FYI the Ryzen 9 series CPU does NOT support quad-channel memory.
Annoying as I only found out after I had shelled out.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Agree with RAM suggestions. I have 32gb and keep loosing TG to crashes during excessive populating or rendering. Latest scene does alright at low res but is crashing at high res even with shaders disabled but pops so yeah. I need 64gb or better CPU and even more RAM.

N-drju

I just dropped the DELL solution.

They insisted to mount an MSI motherboard and the cheapest PSU and CPU cooler they could find. That being said, I'm sure their machine would offer a rather mediocre experience.

They also said that anything outside the offer they provided will basically void the "DELL" branding on the machine... Which is a deal breaker all the same.

I'll go with that other company which suggested 5950x.

N-drju

The eagle has landed. ;)

My new system is ready and waiting, 5950x fitted with 32gb ram and a GT1030 4GB GPU.

I am happy but at the same time somewhat worried. I hope everything works as it should... Oh well, I guess this is just me.

In any case, I will finally have a chance to re-render my entire portfolio without having to feel as if I was serving a jail term. I'll let you guys know my opinion about 5950 when I see it in action. ;)

Dune