Deep Atmosphere

Started by WAS, October 24, 2020, 10:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

How can we have a planet without deep displacement, or cracks, without the super dense floor of the atmosphere? I've tried pushing it down with the floor option but can't seem to get it low enough.

It's also strange that the Bluesky turns into a haze layer when it gets too deep. Seems this functionality should be hazed based only and the bluesky gaseous colour and stuff be gradual to core. It will be clear for thousands of meters, and then just get super dense, regardless of how low you push the floor.

What exactly is the point of this dense floor? Why can't haze altitude limit provide this as it does IRL? Planets with craters don't look realistic at all because crater floors get filled with haze.

Example of the issue. Only thing that helps is lowering density, which at one point you won't have an atmosphere, but just floor haze.

Matt

Both the Bluesky and Haze components vary their density using an exponential function. You can reduce the rate at which this happens by increasing the "Exp height" parameters.

https://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Planet_Atmosphere

The floor parameter doesn't affect this, but if you change it, don't set it much lower than the lowest point on the planet because the larger the range between floor and ceiling the more samples you need to prevent sampling noise.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

In reality the exp height (scale height) of an atmosphere partly depends on the gravity of the planet. For a given gas and temperature, the lower the gravity the larger the exp heights (the density changes more slowly with respect to height), so it's easy to justify increasing the exp height to solve your problem. Pluto has a scale height of about 50 km and it would be even higher if the temperature were higher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale_height
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Ohh, ok. I'll give that slider a fiddle. I never really changed it as I didn't quite understand it's influence. I figured the floor and ceilings were relatively accurate.

WAS

Wow, thanks for the second wiki link. Very informative, if still a little over my head. Literally just got done going down a rabbit hole of information.