GI cache area

Started by N-drju, November 13, 2020, 01:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

I've been wondering - is it necessary to calculate a GI cache of the entire render? Or is it fine to render just part of the image in order to obtain the lighting cache file?

I always render the entire image to produce GI cache files but just recently started to have doubts... Perhaps a smaller crop would do and it's all just a waste of time otherwise?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

You have to calculate the light from all directions for GI, so from sky but also from reflected snow or so, so I think it's very wise to take the whole thing. You could reduce size of course, just for the GI.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on November 13, 2020, 01:55:28 AMYou could reduce size of course, just for the GI.
Maybe. Though I'm afraid this may cause differences between the crops.

I tried calculating GI cache with a smaller version of a big render, but I had visible differences on a building wall - where the crop edges met. I'm not sure if this was it however - this render could not be fixed at all, no matter what settings were used.

Nevermind though - the point is I'm afraid this may cause problems, though I'll check it again when the new CPU arrives!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"