Started by sjefen, December 30, 2020, 06:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjefen

Hi,

Just doing some experiments. This is not done. I'm still working on the shaders for the car, but I wanted to do a test render and made a simple scene.
The model is free and of very high quality made by Karol Miklas. You can find it here: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/free-1975-porsche-911-930-turbo-8568d9d14a994b9cae59499f0dbed21e

Porsche 911.930 - 01d.jpg

Regards,
Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Hannes

This looks already great!!! A very nice model, and your shading is already cool. Looking forward to your final, Terje.

gao_jian11

Wonderful lighting scheme.

cocateho26

I feel like I'm about to see a really cool trailer for a racing game, awesome mood.

DocCharly65

WAS

This look great.

Are you using GGX? I imagine that would look very nice for car paints.

sjefen

Yes, I'm using GGX. I've started from scratch again, but there are some things I can't figure out. Will post some images of areas where I'm having trouble later.

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

sjefen

Another test. There are some strange things happening here and there.
I don't understand why some of the license plate are black and I just cant figure out how to get the lights right.

Porsche 911.930 - 03c.jpg

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

WAS

License plate issue is interesting. Are there any flipped normals there?

As for the lights, what I imagine you need to do for that realistic look is tae the light texture (hoping it has a plastic light texture) and create a mask with it. I think one way you could do this is feeding the textures into Materialize and create a custom AO map which represents the plastics diffusion of light, and use that to mask the luminosity, hoping ti creates a look of light glowing through the plastic. A reflection layer over that for plastic reflection could help with any stronger light sources, like during the day.

If the textures don't have enough detail you could use hard "luminosity" grayscale mask to then composite in some plastic texture which could then be used in something like Materialize to generate some maps for it (mainly disp/bump) to then use the AO feature.

I only suggest this look because I notice with (at least cloaded-ish car lights) that the light directly around out-ward geometry seems to have less light transmitting through. This is probably caused by the rough textured back of the plastic lens which is refracting light waves.

Hannes

No idea aboout the license plate, but as Jordan said, you could check the normals.
Something about the lights. I usually divide the models I use into glass parts and the rest before I import them into TG. Thus I can load the glass part and uncheck cast shadows. I could imagine this is happening in your model. The reflectors of the headlights look rather dark.

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on January 03, 2021, 04:58:01 AMNo idea aboout the license plate, but as Jordan said, you could check the normals.
Something about the lights. I usually divide the models I use into glass parts and the rest before I import them into TG. Thus I can load the glass part and uncheck cast shadows. I could imagine this is happening in your model. The reflectors of the headlights look rather dark.

Thats a good idea. I imagine even something like poseray with materials to groups and just disable all but glass/plastic stuff.

Coming back to the car license, do you have a second model in holdout? Or fresnel and metalness on the shader? Just got this with my voyager and working to debug. There are black boxes all over the model now with trying to alter materials as well as holdout model of brighter luminosity without source being whitish.

Seems to be the holdout model for me, at least. Changed to invisible and then made the model just ever so slightly larger than visible model and it got rid of black spots and messed up lighting.

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on January 03, 2021, 04:58:01 AMSomething about the lights. I usually divide the models I use into glass parts and the rest before I import them into TG.

Curiously, I found out you can just use a constant shader, colour 0, alpha 0, and pipe that into the main input of your glass. :) Seems I have no shadows, and glass. You can even mask the constant shader through a surface layer; think dirt and grime.

Dune

Quote from: Hannes on January 03, 2021, 04:58:01 AMI usually divide the models I use into glass parts and the rest before I import them into TG.
Or just import the car twice and set opacity of different parts to 1 or zero. With the opacity-lamps-at-one set obviously having no shadows.

Are you sure there's no shadow? Interior looks darker.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on January 04, 2021, 02:50:35 AM
Quote from: Hannes on January 03, 2021, 04:58:01 AMI usually divide the models I use into glass parts and the rest before I import them into TG.
Or just import the car twice and set opacity of different parts to 1 or zero. With the opacity-lamps-at-one set obviously having no shadows.

Are you sure there's no shadow? Interior looks darker.
I tried this with a voyager and it created black boxes along the object unless the scale was offsetted at like 0.99 or 1.01. Was in PT only though, not sure about standard. Also tried it on mando's razor crest when testing this scenario.

The method I described is pretty simple, and versatile, and I think would be the correct approach for straight forward method.

And I see no reason why it wouldn't work. It's the same as 0 opacity in a duplicate object. The glass shader doesn't have alpha, as that would obviously ruin it for double sided use.

PS added a better view, you can see the sunlight in the cabin, and shadow from cockpit dividers. Also realize distort by normal is on in the breakup shader. Lol

Dune

It seems a bit strange that if you annihilate an object by a 0 opacity, it still has the glass. Without duplicating the object. Have to test this....