Saturn like animation test

Started by Kadri, January 22, 2021, 05:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Wanted to make more of this but ended as it is.
The first part of the planet are clouds. In the last part (the image below) there are no clouds.
The first part took around half - 1 hour per frame. The second part only around 7 minutes per frame.
Lighting etc. is different in the second part obviously.

This is a H264 34 mb video file Onedrive link. Best to download and watch it i think :
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao9EyFWihNgcjSNG9rnFUp6J5xzX?e=LFyhGp

Dune

Great animation! You seem to be in a very interstellar mood. I think there's very little difference whether you use clouds or no clouds, especially in an animation. What I did miss (tiny nitpick) is some real stones/icechunks when you pass the rings at the very end.

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on January 23, 2021, 02:48:14 AM... I think there's very little difference whether you use clouds or no clouds, especially in an animation. What I did miss (tiny nitpick) is some real stones/icechunks when you pass the rings at the very end.

Yes mostly only shadows probably.
I was going to add such details and small moons in another render pass actually.

Dune

I should have thought you would. So there's more to come. Terrific.

Kadri

Hopefully Ulco. But crashes are frustrating. Terragen is mostly not problematic.
With this kind of a scene the RTP is very handy. But unfortunately very crashy too.
I try to minimize this by turning it off mostly. Especially when i play with animation options.
I have an old build. The newer ones might be more stable maybe.

Dune

I don't know if they are more stable, but it's indeed best to turn it on only when checking something out, and not when changing parameters. It might depend on the amount RAM you have, I don't know.

Hannes

Wow, truly amazing!!! I agree, some rocks or stones inside the ring would be terrific!! Besides I noticed some distortion of the area behind the ring's transparent parts. Maybe some refraction stuff?

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on January 23, 2021, 04:45:53 AMI don't know if they are more stable, but it's indeed best to turn it on only when checking something out, and not when changing parameters. It might depend on the amount RAM you have, I don't know.
Yes.
Probably not RAM related. Full scene is mostly between 15-20 gb RAM (With everything in Windows).
I have 64 gb Ram.

Kadri

Quote from: Hannes on January 23, 2021, 05:50:09 AM... Besides I noticed some distortion of the area behind the ring's transparent parts. Maybe some refraction stuff?

Good eye Hannes. I thought about to render more inbetween frames to get rid of that.
But it looked as you said kinda refraction too so i left it.
It is actually because of the motion interpolation from DP Howler that i used to get more frames then i rendered.
The scene is actually 6 times shorter(first part of the video).
The motion interpolation helps with too much flickering and sudden changes too.
But with too much sudden changes in the scene Howler can't handle it and it looks bad.
So i had to render the part where you see the change from the side of the rings with 3 times more frames then the first part to get the result you see.

DocCharly65

Congrats, Kadri, the animation is incredibly cool and impressive. I like those "cloud rings of fire" on the dark side of the planet.

The idea and your plans with some icy and stony details in the ring system will be a great addition!