Strata --> FINISHED

Started by Tangled-Universe, December 06, 2007, 04:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

With a little help of Joël Durier (Phylloxera) I've finally managed to create some decent looking stratas using the strata and outcrops shader.

Joël sent me a clipfile of 2 combined stratas (stratas merged via merge shader, standard settings). Thanks Joël!
The clipfile sent me in the right direction on how to add some decent, no 'staircasing', stratas to a terrain.

See in his own image as well, here: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1569674&member

I then added a powerfractal as blend shader to both strata shaders and also as an input on the mix control of the merge shader where the stratas were merged.
This way the stratas have some variaton on where they appear and whether one or both stratashaders appear on the terrain.
Another nice feature, which I didn't expect to appear where the trenches/ditches. Personally I like them a lot :)

As you probably can see there's a flaw in the lighting. I used GI lighting (1/1) with a fill light (to lighten up the shadows) and I forgot to give it the same soft shadow settings.
It was also a bit too strong. So you can see 2 different types of shadow in the image. Tomorrow I'll render a high-res higher detail with correct shadows (hopefully).
Next thing which I might consider is to add some populations to give the image more sense of scale. I also have to improve the surfacing I think.

Please let me know what you think of it :)

Regards, Martin

Will

the crevisis (sp) look nice, good work so far.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Saurav

This is looking really good.

dhavalmistry

I like the detail in terrain but there seems to be something odd about the cracks...did you use image maps for the cracks??...

I see you have angled strata...

nice work...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Tangled-Universe

Thank you Will and Saurav :)

Quote from: dhavalmistry on December 06, 2007, 04:54:37 PM

I like the detail in terrain but there seems to be something odd about the cracks...did you use image maps for the cracks??...

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 06, 2007, 04:35:21 PM

then added a powerfractal as blend shader to both strata shaders and also as an input on the mix control of the merge shader where the stratas were merged.
This way the stratas have some variaton on where they appear and whether one or both stratashaders appear on the terrain.
Another nice feature, which I didn't expect to appear where the trenches/ditches. Personally I like them a lot :)

old_blaggard

This looks really good!  The deep vertical rivulets in the terrain are what really brings it out for me personally - are those a result of the strata as well or are they from the underlying terrain?
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Seth

Tangled-Universe

Thanks O_B :)

As I already said the rivulets/carves/trenches...whatever :)....are a result of the blend shader on the mix-controller of the strata. It's also dependent on the strata-settings.
Their exact relation is not completely clear (not so surprising *lol*) but as far as I know the greater the hard layer depth and spacing the greater and deeper the rivulets/trenches became.

overlordchuck

Very well done, looks really nice.

Seth

Phylloxera is one of the best TG2 users in my opinion...

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: seth93 on December 06, 2007, 06:16:07 PM
Phylloxera is one of the best TG2 users in my opinion...

Yeah I agree, though I don't see the relevance of your comment.
His images are pleasant to look at. He gave me some of his tgd's sometime and each time I'm surprised by the simplicity of most of his setups. That's clearly his strong point.
He's generous in sharing his techniques and I really appreciate that.
It's a pity he isn't here on the forums, possibly of a language barrier?
You're french as well aren't you...

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Seth

yes i am :)
and my comments... well i just said what i thought at the moment... i really like to check his galery and i just gave my opinion becaus e, as you said, he's not on this forum. So, i think perhaps some of the people in here don't know him...
anyway ^^
you did a very good job on your render ;)

rcallicotte

Invite him on-board!  I love his stuff and watch it constantly at Renderosity.  I want to learn from him.

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 06, 2007, 06:21:24 PM
Yeah I agree, though I don't see the relevance of your comment.
His images are pleasant to look at. He gave me some of his tgd's sometime and each time I'm surprised by the simplicity of most of his setups. That's clearly his strong point.
He's generous in sharing his techniques and I really appreciate that.
It's a pity he isn't here on the forums, possibly of a language barrier?
You're french as well aren't you...
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: calico on December 06, 2007, 06:30:00 PM
Invite him on-board!  I love his stuff and watch it constantly at Renderosity.  I want to learn from him.

Yeah why not, good idea :) I'll do that tomorrow because I'm going to sleep now  ;D if that's not soon enough you can do it yourself ;-) :p
As I said I love his stuff as well and you can certainly learn from him because he's willing to share his techniques with you.