Fake Grass

Started by dhavalmistry, December 07, 2007, 11:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peejay

isn't  this the same problem people were having when rendering towers made by extreme displacements. The render engine doesn't 'remember' that it's supposed to be rendering a displacement from an old bit of terrain when it move on to a new piece of terrain - hope that made sense?
adamans rebellis quod iustus nos

Oshyan

Yes, it looks like another manifestation of the cross-tile displacement rendering problems. Addressing that completely would mean a pretty large hit on render time unfortunately, so if it's possible, it's likely to be an optional control (e.g. tile overlap).

- Oshyan

moodflow

Well that explains it then.  So my rework is still affected by clipping lines   :(
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

dhavalmistry

Quote from: moodflow on January 28, 2008, 10:43:35 PM
Well that explains it then.  So my rework is still affected by clipping lines   :(

oh poor moodflow.....dont cry.....

you want to see a HQ render of your grass??...

here

**EDIT**

IT CRASHED!!!.... >:( >:( >:(

it crashed after rendering the row it was rendering in the screenshot!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

peejay

Oshyan

or any maths whizz out there

is it possible to calculate at what point this problem will occour? What I'm thinking is that it might be possible to use this tool provided the diplacement was kept below this 'threshold' ?

In other words could we have a planet full of grass provided it was kept reasonably short? (got to assume the virtual sheep are hungry and keep it cropped)
adamans rebellis quod iustus nos

moodflow

Quote from: dhavalmistry on January 29, 2008, 10:12:25 AM
Quote from: moodflow on January 28, 2008, 10:43:35 PM

oh poor moodflow.....dont cry.....

you want to see a HQ render of your grass??...

here

**EDIT**

IT CRASHED!!!.... >:( >:( >:(

it crashed after rendering the row it was rendering in the screenshot!

Heheh yea, looks like we'll have to wait for the update...bummer. 

Oshyan

It *may* work better if the grass is shorter, but I don't know of a specific value that would help. I'd suggest a bit of experimentation.

- Oshyan

DanD

LOL..No..It doesnt, crashes at the same row every time, It is gorgeous though

Volker Harun

Well, it looks beautiful - and of course the small scales of the fractal combined with the nifty blender does its way.
But why do you make the displacement amplitude 5000, roughness of 0 (which makes the smallest scale to be ignored)?

By the way, I really love that colouring, too :-D

Volker Harun

I had been thinking about that one again and made a test on a sphere.

I used the fake-stone shader as mask or either displasment shader. It works very good. Take a stone scale of 0.05 and a density of about 1. Displacement of 1m is something to start with.

Volker

moodflow

Good to see you posting again Volker!  Its been a while.

Anyway, do you have any samples of that test?

Volker Harun

Nothing really finished.
The attached scene still has some faults that I do not understand ... could be an issue of the alpha-version, but.

Volker