conversion cables hdmi or display port to dvi-i

Started by Dune, June 06, 2021, 06:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I'm trying to find an answer to this, but haven't succeeded yet, so some input would be most valued.

I have managed to secure an 11GB 1080Ti GPU, which has 1 hdmi and 3 display port outputs. My Eizo S2431W monitor, however, only has a DVI-I and a VGA input. To make it more complex; I have 2 machines attached to this monitor through an Aten CS22U KVM switch, which currently handle the keyboard, the Wacom pen, and the VGA (analog). Yes, it's a medieval setup!

I was thinking to purchase a converter from hdmi (or display port) to DVI, and directly attach the new GPU of the working machine to the digital input on the monitor. The other pc (old for web stuff only) could have a VGA cable directly linked. I can switch between these inputs on the monitor itself to use either machine. The keyboard and Wacom can still go through the Aten switch, I suppose.
But I can't figure out what would be best; use the hdmi, or display port (3 of them) of the GPU.... and whether I should pay attention to male or female. Input in monitor is female, so at least the DVI cable end should be male.
At least I found that dual link is preferred for higher refresh rates and resolution, and gold-plated is also better.

Any ideas?

WAS

I have heard people have better luck with DisplayPort to DVI-D but not sure about DVI-I. I know both adaptors will need to be high quality, and produce its own TDMS Signal or the GPU will not detect a monitor even plugged in. For both DisplayPort and HDMI.

KlausK

It`s not a question of luck ;) just a question of the right cable.

In theory you can convert from DVi, Hdmi and Displayport back and forth to any other of them.
But in reality it is a one way connection to DVi. DVi to Displayport does not work, afaik.
For example if you had a GPU with DVI outputs and the monitor had a Displayport input - no signal.

From GPU to Monitor ===> Displayport to DVI = works.

When you use a Displayport: Displayport to DVi-D cable. DVi-D only carries digital signals.
(DVi-I is VGA compatible (analog)).

Needs to be DVi-D Dual Link (there is/was also a DVi-D Single Link cable! but it is unlikely that they are still sold today)
because the data rate is 2x Single Link data rate for high Monitor resolutions (over 1920x1200).
Also, Displayport carries a audio signal. If you`re lucky, the converter cable might carry that too to the monitor with speakers.

Watch out for male-female stuff in this way: check the output form factor on the GPU (Displayport / Hdmi - male or female)
and the converter cable to DVi needs to be the opposite (it needs to fit into the output).
Then you know the data is flowing in the right direction. I think I posted a picture of an adapter once in another threads of yours...

Using the Hdmi port of the GPU: ===> Hdmi to DVi-D cable.
Same deal as with the Displayport. Carries Digital Picture and Audio data with high data rates.

Quality cables are better ===> the longer the cable connection (5m-plus) the better the cable has to be.
Shorter than 3m then it does not really matter. Should work every time.

I would use the Displayports on the GPU. In your "older" setup the Displayport standard is of higher quality than the Hdmi Standard.
The cables from Displayport to DVi-D are found here from 20.- to 40.- CHF depending on the length.

My GPU had a short (20cm) adapter from Diplayport to DVi in the box.
I am using something like this and it is working fine.

Hope that helps.

CHeers, Klaus

ps: just an example for a short adapter. You can then connect your normal DVi cable to that.
https://www.startech.com/en-us/audio-video-products/dp2dvi
ps: some tips from Eizo themselves
https://www.eizo.com/library/basics/displayport_to_d-sub/
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DisplayPort-Monitor-Display-Adapter/dp/B013PWJKQ4?th=1

I did some review browsing and found this one had pretty decent reviews considering others. It is single channel so perfect for your older monitor.

Dune

Thanks very much for your elaborate answers, guys. I've read quite a bit about it, but the Eizo article was very clear, very good to have read. I need a complete cable, not just a short converter, as I found the DVI cable I have is single link, so a resolution of 1920x1200 can't be managed, so it seems. I need dual link. And a short converter+ DVI dual link cable is more expensive and has another link to be made, so better take just the one cable (1.5m needed).
Found this one; https://www.allekabels.nl/displayport-kabel/4473/2304627/displayport-naar-dvi-kabel.html

WAS

KaulsK may know more, but wondering if that will work. It says "passive (level shifter)". I may be mistaken but I think that means it's not actually converting the signal to analog for the monitor to understand. At least your older monitor. Perhaps a newer monitor with a legacy port would see it.

Dune

Well, it's complicated anyway, as in principle dual link would yield more bandwidth (higher resolutions) than single link, and at one vendor they said max resoution was 1920x1080 for a certain dual-link cable. That is not correct IMO.
And the way I see it, it's just some wires and connections, passive anyway. I may be wrong, but we'll see. I ordered a cheap one (DP to dual link DVI-D, no word about resolution at that vendor), should arrive tomorrow and then it's a question of testing. Otherwise I return it and order another one. Next cheapest is 2.5 as expensive, and looks the same :-\

KlausK

yeah, this cable should work.
Important is are the 24+1 connectors. If they are truly done inside the cable you have the double link connection. The signal runs between a DP-port (digital) and a DVi-I (also digital plus analog). So there is no conversion necessary, actually.
The active converters are needed for DisplayPort video cards not capable of outputting DP++ (multi-mode) signals.
But a Nvidia 1080 should be capable of doing that. I have a 1070 Ti and a passive adapter works just fine.
Actually, I use the same Eizo FlexScan 2431W like you... :) as a secondary Monitor.

But you`ll have your cable soon enough.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

Thanks for the confirmation, Klaus! Sleek design of that Eizo, huh? My secondary (for another computer) is a S1931, good enough to start a long render on my render machine, and then switch it off.

WAS

Looking up your monitor it is a combined DVI interface. But only 202.5 MHz of video bitrate. A single channel DVI is 3.96 Gbit/s. So sounds like its only using analog, or just really that bad a monitor. That being said you should be able to also use analog converter cords, and dual links may not matter at all. Single link goes up to max resolution of that monitor

Dune

Yes, it's an oldie already, and indeed has 2 inputs, VGA (analog) and DVI-I (analog and digital). I don't know about bitrate, but I did have my concerns about how the signal from that fast card will be transmitted and shown on that monitor. We'll see today or tomorrow...
I actually should upgrade the whole lot, but I have 3 monitors and 4 computers, and it seems like such a waste to ditch reasonable to good running stuff, though old. You know, environment, climate, footprint and all that. One of these machines was a backup, now 7 years old or so, and never even used.
I wish I were brave enough to dump all and have just two modern machines, and a good screen :-\

PabloMack

If I understand it correctly, DVI is just the video part of HDMI but has its own connector type. They are purely digital. DVI to HDMI (or vice versa) doesn't need a converter, just the appropriate adapter. Should be inexpensive. VGA, on the other hand, is analog. VGA to HDMI is the most complicated. HDMI to VGA converters might be limited in number because of licensing issues.

WAS

Quote from: PabloMack on June 08, 2021, 05:11:56 PMHDMI to VGA converters might be limited in number because of licensing issues.

There a plenty here. You just have to get an actual converter box/dongle, not a cord which will just be sending digital to an analog port.

As for DVI vs HDMI, them being the same is only now true, and only in fidelity, where HDMI actually lagged behind the fidelity and power of a DVI dual-link. Original spec HDMI was barely equivalent to a single link, and now come in type A/C/D. Type B are dual link and much more standard across devices these days, supporting up to 144hz

Also most HDMI signals, especially on a newer GPU will be HDCP encrypted. a DVI monitor will not expect, or be able to decrypt these protected signals. Especially Ulco's older monitor. I bet most straight dongle conversion cords will not work on this older monitor from a new GPU, like is the case with most support topics regarding this very topic with "No Signal".

Dune

Mine needs Display Port (or HDMI) to DVI (digital, so DVI-D, or DVI-I, which carries both), I chose for Display Port to DVI as HDMI is indeed older. I read about the encryption too, so I'm very curious if this will work. Cable should arrive today. And yes, sound will not be transmitted, but I mostly don't use computer sound anyway.

There is a DP-DVI dongle that goes with the GPU, but the guys I got it from are moving, and it's packed somewhere deep (if they still have it), so I either have to wait 6 weeks or try something else. But that dongle looks like nothing more than a cable, so I have good hopes any other cable will work just as well. Otherwise I just have to wait... :P

Dune

Well, it runs! Piece of cake, actually. Cheapest cable. Thanks again, guys!