Changing camera to look down on terrain and render from there

Started by mhelfstein, December 10, 2007, 02:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhelfstein

I did a search of the forum for this kind of procedure. Didn't come up with anything that really told me how to do this. Possibly, I'm not searching with the correct terms.
Could someone point me to a procedure to do this?
I want to sculpt a continent to match one in a book and then save the render so I can post it on the books forum.
I can use either Terragen 2 or Terragen 0.9.
Thanks

rcallicotte

If you're trying to manipulate the camera, there are all kinds of directions on this website.  There are also instructions inside of TG2.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Virex

Go to the camera you're using. Find the 3 boxes for rotation, thei're below those for location

Set the y value to -90, then start panning your camera, using alt+shift+LMB in the preview window untill you find the angle you need.. Be sure not to pan up to much, or else you'll lose the top-down view.

green_meklar

alt+left mouse button=rotate camera
alt+middle mouse button=move camera front to back
alt+right mouse button=move camera side to side, up and down

If you want the camera to view the planet at precisely 90 degrees, you can also double click on the camera and type in 90 in I think it's the x rotation input field (which would be the one on the left) and 0 in the y rotation input field (the one in the middle).
QuoteI can use either Terragen 2 or Terragen 0.9.
Terragen 2 is vastly superior for doing...well, everything, actually, but especially landscapes on a continent scale because you don't have to deal with the black edge of the world and stuff like that.
You know what's worse than not being able to do anything right or make anything good? Not being able to blame it on anyone but yourself.

AzurePlanet

QuoteChanging camera to look down on terrain and render from there
I wrote a spreadsheet for doing this. You can find it here:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2682.0