Terragen in The Golden Compass

Started by Moose, December 12, 2007, 05:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moose

VFXWorld have a two part article on the visual effects in The Golden Compass. Part Two mentions that Rainmaker UK utilised Terragen for their work on the film - http://vfxworld.com/?atype=articles&id=3478&page=7 (registration maybe required):

QuoteThe studio's assignment also included major enhancements of the Gyptian camp environment. "Much of the scene was shot with painted backings that needed to be replaced digitally," Eason says. "We generated a new background using a combination of digital stills, Terragen 3D-rendered mountains and snowscapes and pure Photoshop paintwork, along with moving elements such as mist, smoke and shadows."

It doesn't say whether old TG or new was used...

:)

old_blaggard

Very cool 8-).  It's hard to tell which version it was because the example image is so small.  I'm going to see it in a couple of days, so I'll keep my eyes open and hopefully be able to tell which.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Moose

Yeah... also, if it's combined with paintwork and other techniques like the article says, it might be even harder to distinguish. Perhaps someone from Planetside knows more? Enjoy the film though... I'll wait till it's shown on TV.  :P

Will

Hmm cool, Yea I wonder which it is. *waits for staff*
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

JimB

The mountains from that angle were done in World Machine with Flow maps exported to help the snow distribution. They weren't done in one pass but several, combined in Photoshop as the outline had to match a particular look and time was of the essence. Some views had all TG2 skies separated into layers; others a mix of different rendered skies + photo elements + paintwork to fulfill the brief. No magic bullets.  ;)

One particular view of the bear staring across the arctic landscape then engaging in conversation with the girl used a matte painting for the flat midground, some photo elements taken on location to enhance the overall look, a World Machine generated near background, then an alpine fractal for the distant mountains. The foreground snow that the bear sits on is mostly XSI and Mental Ray. The sky is completely TG2 with still renders separated into their respective cloud layers, and a slight drift added in XSI as a texture projection. The drifting shadows were generated using a LWO export of the scape to make them follow the topography.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

red_planet

Thanks Jim,

Nice to have suspicions confirmed..it was nagging at me (in a nice way) all through the film....film's a good romp and in places looks stunning, but the "hollywoodisation" has removed a lot of the original book's power.(imho !)

Rgds

Chris

Moose

Cheers for the details there, JimB.  :)

rcallicotte

I wondered if those mountains were TG.  Wow.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

Thanks for the details :).  Where did you find all of this out?
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

JimB

Quote from: old_blaggard on December 12, 2007, 10:49:51 AM
Because I did the matte paintings.  ;)
Some bits and bobs
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

rcallicotte

Good job, Jim.  I loved the backgrounds.  Did this include the backgrounds for the shots above the city in the balloon (with Nicole and her "soul")?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

Wow, impressive :).  Nicely done, and thanks for sharing!

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

moodflow

Quote from: JimB on December 12, 2007, 11:10:37 AM
Quote from: old_blaggard on December 12, 2007, 10:49:51 AM
Because I did the matte paintings.  ;)

Heheh, then he will likely know then.  8)
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

JimB

Quote from: calico on December 12, 2007, 11:33:42 AM
Did this include the backgrounds for the shots above the city in the balloon (with Nicole and her "soul")?

No, not at all. Only the snow scenes surrounding the camp in the arctic where the big battle happens, and the big tilt down where the two guys fall of the cliff (which also had some TG2 elements). It was a massive show for VFX with a number of companies working on it.
Some bits and bobs