Terragen 4.5.60 Installer Blocked

Started by WAS, July 27, 2021, 07:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Just a heads-up 4.5.60 is blocked from installs. Users will need to manually unblock it.

For those users, click More Info, and you should be able to run it depending on your user rights. If not, you can run it as an elevated users to access the run button in More Info.

You can also right-click the exe, head to properties, and checkmark the "Unblock" checkbox.

Dune

I had no trouble, installed right away. But sometimes you have to really dig deep to find what causes something to fail. Very frustrating.

WAS

Yeah, windows 10 has "smarter" security. Any file created on another windows system without a trusted certificate will be blocked, as thats usually how every virus is made, just on another PC without being signed.

crisb

Hello all,

Yup, it's a thing, and quite random it seems, but Matt is aware and looking at a solution.

Cheers,

Cris

Matt

This will happen whenever a download is relatively new and hasn't been downloaded by a large number of people yet. It's not clear how long or how many downloads it takes before Microsoft decides something is safe.

I use a code signing certificate to sign the self extracting .exe as well as the installer.msi and setup.exe that are extracted from it. There are now two grades of certificate, however, and Microsoft is still a little bit cautious with the type that I am using at the moment. These warnings should go away after enough people have downloaded it.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Which also relies on Windows Defender being active and it's file submission not blocked by firewalls. Most people have third party antivirus like me, which doesn't work in conjunction with Windows Defender and disabled the services altogether.

Also, if it's a self-signed certificate, I don't think it matters, as it will always be blocked as people should always check it against the key, as anyone can self-sign and add whatever bunk meta.

Matt

It's signed with an OV Code Signing Certificate certified by Sectigo (formerly Comodo).
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Ah so yeah its just windows defender submission. May be worth getting extended validation so this isn't even an option. While I am sure a lot of us will install and no doubt unblock it with smart screen, I do wonder if it impacts new users and perceived reputation of planetside. I know if I wasn't already part of the community I wouldn't install it, and would have no idea it's just because it's a new EXE, but would be wondering what phishy stuff is going on. Especially if I was a user that has no idea about comparing files and such or competently checking them at risk of a PC.