Turn On the F***ing Truck!!!

Started by Ariel DK, August 09, 2021, 04:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ariel DK

Title says almost all. I wanted to do some zombie stuff, so Fuse, C4D and Mixamo were ideal for this!
This is also my first PT render so far, wich is Ok except for the noise, any advice is higly welcome here.
The foggy version give it a more terrorific ambient but it also makes the image more flat IMO
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

WAS

This is a great, and scary render. Has great potential. I kinda wish the truck lights were on.

I already stated it in my last post to you in my terraforming project, but for that haze layer, put the Sample Jitter at 0, it reduces the inherent grain there in the clouds, which is only going to be exaggerated by PT.

Additionally, with PT it sometimes becomes necessary to use custom sampling. I have been using a AA of 7, then under Edit Sampling I put Pixel Noise Threshold at 0.025.

The provided render is pretty clear, and clear enough that denoisers work fairly well, like Topaz Gigapixel AI for even enlarging it.

WAS

Out of curiosity, and I hope you don't mind, I ran your render through gigapixel. Was curious how it would handle such hard soft noise under low lighting. It didn't do too bad, though it seems to have trouble and reduces a lot of detail. Makes it almost like a digital painting. Probably cause it's on Art setting. The compressed, standard, and architectural settings didn't work well.

DocCharly65

Great idea and done very well. The idea with the trucks lights would be nice indeed (though I guess, you would need very high AA and high atmosphere and fog quality settings to avoid noise.

Dune

Great render and idea! Ditto, some lights. I think it would even enhance the scare if the front area were lit, and the zombies were looming from a darker area. The view of the guy would be inhibited by the light around him.

Speaking of grain; everybody wants to get a photographic quality in a render, so a bit of grain would even work as an advantage :P

WAS

Totally agree with that last bit, Ulco. That's why I settled at AA 7 with PNT at 0.025. Still some grain, but more like what you would see in film/photograph. Though highlighting is non-existent like other noise filters.

Ariel DK

Thanks for the feedback guys! I had planned to post an update but render times is just taking too long...

@WAS  Sample jittering at 0 works fine, is not reducing the noise at all, but it looks better
I was also having problems with the lights in the truck, so i changed the model for another much better from Hum3D, that allows me to use procedural TG shaders for texturing it (thx Hannes)  ;)

Ariel DK

Topaz is also amazing, i just get surprised how a never ear about this software before. I gonna try the trial version soon...

WAS

Quote from: Ariel DK on August 10, 2021, 07:31:40 PMTopaz is also amazing, i just get surprised how a never ear about this software before. I gonna try the trial version soon...
They really are. I have the plugin suite, though for a version of Photoshop I own physically, and can't find. But I got that gigapixel AI cause the trial worked great If it's pretty good quality it can usually do a 2x upscale with only minor issues. Some stuff, if it's more solid shape like, can go really high like 6x scale.

KlausK

Nice idea for the scene ;D

I`d like to remind you of this thread.
If you plan on making visible lights for the truck.

https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,23919.0.html

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Ariel DK

Thanks Klausk! Due the geometry of the new truck model, i'm using Light Sources for the back lights, and Spot Lights in the front, but the beam will be not visible at all, i still need to test how they will impact in the render times, but at least the back lights, they has no any impact.
And talking about the new model, is looking really nice when you texturing it internally in TG...
I'm gonna post a "final crop" probably tomorrow

Dune

If the model has glass light coverings, and the lights are inside/behind, the glass will throw a shadow and IMO stop light being emiited. So you may need to set those glass bits to zero opacity, perhaps.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 12, 2021, 02:31:41 AMIf the model has glass light coverings, and the lights are inside/behind, the glass will throw a shadow and IMO stop light being emiited. So you may need to set those glass bits to zero opacity, perhaps.
Thought we concluded glass shader now already does this? Like my mando cockpit and stuff letting in light with no shadow.

Ariel DK

Hi guys, "final crop" for the truck (i made a few others on the blanket to add some food)

@Dune  I'm not seeing any shadow throwing by the glass, at least in this crop, i would need to do some more when i get in home later just to be sure

WAS

That looks pretty good. Too bad no god rays like effect.

And yeah, I think double sided glass has now shadow, and PT normal glass will have refraction shadows.