Planetside Forums Registration Process Unsecure

Started by WAS, October 19, 2021, 04:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I was curious why the spam is just non-stop, so I registered a new account to familiarize myself with it. Turns out neither of the spam prevention methods for Simple Machine Forums are even in place. There is no CAPTCHA or security questions, even as simple as a math question. It's just a simple form that any bot can use (i even entered in all my data via HTML like a bot would).

Why is is the CAPTCHA feature disabled, as well as Verification Questions?

Dune

Good show, Jordan. I have a daytime job reporting :P

Hannes

That's indeed annoying. I had no idea, it's so easy to create an account. That explains the recent spamming.

Hannes

Holy cow, this is so annoying!!!! >:( I'd really love to hear someone of the staff members about that.

Hannes

WAS

At this point I'm starting to think they allow easy registrations for the hope of new users quickly, at the risk of spammers. I do know CAPTCHA/Security Questions can turn away potential users. But in this day in age it should be required and those users not interested in security may not be the best people to hold accounts for.

Enabling these features takes no time, and effort really, so I see no excuse. Kinda sad really. We already know these bots are scraping content to use in their data mining and further spamming of sites and phishing for data. Our user agreements already shed Planetside of any liability for security and legal issues with our forum posts, as well as stating they do not monitor any posts. Lol So maybe they're just sticking to those guns, and don't care.

Dune

Well, maybe staff just doesn't get to it, due to ther stuff taking time. But I surely hope they'll set registration restrictions rather sooner than later. Must be annoying for them to get all the reports about spammers.

Get to it, guys!

WAS

Wish there wasn't a 20 second timeout between reports. That's only 3 reports a minute.

Dune

Maybe they do that because otherwise someone may cause a barrage of reports and spam thus. But indeed, sometimes it's annoying to have to wait to send in a next report.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on October 28, 2021, 09:11:12 AMMaybe they do that because otherwise someone may cause a barrage of reports and spam thus. But indeed, sometimes it's annoying to have to wait to send in a next report.
Yeah. Especially when your 20 seconds isn't exact and gotta wait another 20.

Hannes

I'm a little bit confused. Does anyone of the Planetside staff read this? We're happily reporting spammers the whole time, and there is absolutely no official comment to this very justified thread.

WAS

Maybe a tutorial will help know exactly what to change and where?

https://www.fastcomet.com/tutorials/smf/security

PS; I don't mean this sarcastically. I'm realistically trying to just help get this done. It's terrifying they are like using quoted text form sites you have just visited and linking to malware.

Hannes

Honestly, this is not funny anymore. Spammers conquering almost every category of this forum yesterday.

And not even one single statement of the staff about this here in this thread. I'd really appreciate at least a little sign that you're aware of that, and might try to solve the problem.

Dune

WAS

Seriously. I thought Crisb was here to help manage the forums? 

If you guys need help give me limited mod access. I'll sign a contract and NDA if need be. I've been using SMF since I was forced to when YaBB shutdown in like 2005 or something, not to mention have been simply managing forums (I used to develop for IP.Board) since I was a kid. 

I am on the forums every day,  checking in all day until bed.