River Banks

Started by pixelpusher636, December 04, 2021, 12:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixelpusher636

Hey folks I'm even further outside my wheelhouse than usual and was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction.

This scene attached is in its infancy so I know a lot of things need to be adjusted/tweaked etc.

my concern and what I need help with is making this river not look man made. The banks have sharp edges. I've used a SSS for a mask piped into a displacement shader. I've tried adjusting the SSS edge profiles etc. but have been unsuccessful. Any thoughts?
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

WAS

This is likely due to clamped colour adjusting. It creates a hard edge at 0 or 1. With rivers and stiff for those smooth edges you want to unclamp the adjustments.

pixelpusher636

Ahh! Thank you Sir. I will unclamp and see where it goes.

pixelpusher636

Quote from: WAS on December 04, 2021, 12:38:16 PMThis is likely due to clamped colour adjusting. It creates a hard edge at 0 or 1. With rivers and stiff for those smooth edges you want to unclamp the adjustments.
That was it! I can't believe I never noticed that edge color slider before. Fantastic, thanks WAS.

Dune

I always take it off immediately. Actually don't know why it's there and what purpose it has...

WAS

Quote from: Dune on December 05, 2021, 02:59:57 AMI always take it off immediately. Actually don't know why it's there and what purpose it has...
Yeah every program I use has noise unclamped unless you clamp it. It does seem to get more in the way. Only rarely use it for function stuff, but I use soft min and max to actually set the points. Cause like if you clamp say a PF, the default noise is already a little out of range. Peaks are clamped and parts of floor is clamped. You'd think default noises would be within that range for a perfect fit.

Dune

I often use a smooth step instead of color adjust for smooth clamping. Would be easier if the color adjust had a tick box to have it smooth clamp instead of hard.