MDD files problems

Started by Hannes, July 11, 2022, 05:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Has anyone else problems with using MDD files? I made a simple box in 3ds max for testing and animated some bending. I then exported the object plus a pc2 file, since 3ds max doesn't export MDD.
I used this tool:
http://www.kstorm.org/index.php/20-pc2mdd
to convert the pc2 to MDD. I imported the object into TG. Looks as expected (Image left), but when I apply the MDD file the animation is there, but the normals seem to be messed up (Image right).

I know, Matt mentioned (two years ago?) that there was no way to recalculate the normals in TG at the time, but now there's a checkbox, that allows different ways of recalculating.
I saw that Richard (Cyphyr) managed to do a successful MDD import some time ago. So, any idea what's wrong here? Is it maybe the conversion tool? If so, are there any other ways to convert pc2 to MDD?

KlausK

hi Hannes,
I used the *FBX export method as described in the help file of 3dsmax (2016).

fbx object file together with a xml cache and mc file. That seems to be a more modern file format for point caches.

Then imported all that into Softimage XSI and exported a MDD together with a lwo object file via Point Oven.

LWO into TG, read in the MDD file and - voila!

Just to show that the mdd files do work in TG.

CHeers, Klaus

/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Hannes

Thanks a lot, Klaus!
So, I guess, it's the format conversion that's responsible for the mess I got.
Unfortunately I don't have Softimage XSI nor Point Oven. Maybe there's another way to get some decent results?

KlausK

I think so too.

I have just discovered that Blender has a pc2 import addon.
And a mdd import-export addon too.

So you might want to download Blender and give it a try.

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/2.92/addons/import_export/pc2.html

CHeers, Klaus

OH NO :-* I mis-read... there is only a pc2 file exporter from Blender. So you cannot get the pc2 file from 3DSMAX in there.

BUT: the FBX export from 3DSMAX together with the xml and mc cache files might work.
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Hannes

Problem solved!
Klaus, it was good, that you pointed me to Blender. I found a tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfp0i0EuTU0&t=208s

Funny enough it showed me, that I actually don't need Blender. But the guy said one crucial sentence: when you're exporting your OBJ from Max, make sure, you don't have checked any optimizing in the OBJ export options (vertex, normals, texture coordinates), otherwise your object will be messed up.
And that was it! Works like a charme now!!! Cool!

KlausK

ah, that`s good to know!
Yesterday I tried a lot of different settings in the "Export..." property page of 3DSMAX which did not help.
The *obj was always messed up like the one in your first picture. So, these optimizations alter the vertex order then.
Gonna try it again later with 3DSMAX (even though the MDD export from LightWave and Softimage work fine).

CHeers, Klaus

Hannes

Yes, it's a piece of cake now. The PC2MDD conversion tool is small and does what it's supposed to do. No big deal.

Since it works now, it makes me think of a feature request:
there's no way (yet) to loop or offset the point cache deformation of objects. That would be really cool, if I had a walk cycle for example. I'm not sure, if this is possible with point caches.
However it's not that much of work to "record" ten walk cycles in a row in 3ds max and export this as a single pc file. As a variation you could also record different offset ones. Since it's still a single object the file sizes are small.
Anyway it would be much more convenient to have the possibility to loop or offset the animation.

KlausK

Blender 3.2 has a "Mesh Cache Modifier" for mdd and pc2 files. This can do quiet some manipulation to the vertex cache.
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/modifiers/modify/mesh_cache.html

I would think that if the fbx importer in TG would be (more) complete (aka import geometry as well!) and be able to read xml/mc caches would be best.
The next step should be Alembic import. Mainly because it handles massive data well and allows change of the vertex count and structure of objects.
On the other hand TG should just support pc2 files. 8)

But the Blender solution might be a good starting point for TG as well.

CHeers, Klaus