Castle WIP

Started by aknight0, July 18, 2022, 01:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Looks fantastic!!! Yes, the ships might be a bit larger, but not much. It's quite a huge castle (the round one. I checked it as well.).

Stormlord

This in an exellent update!
It looks really great and also convincing, especially the water fits nicely with the botanic and touches the soul.
The trees are different in their tones which are bright but natural (what I love!) and the mossy gras on the rocks looks also great.
In the beginning I thought... well... its just an import thing, but guess what... It turns out to morph into a hell of a scene and a great picture!

STORMLORD
Overall a balanced and very moody image, I will save it to my Library where I have archived references from others.

Jo Kariboo

Beautiful congratulations !

zaxxon

That is a beautiful scene and render!  The cliffside and foliage is very well done and the castle model 'sits' very naturally into the landscape.  The POV is majestic and creates a nice sense of 'grand' scale. Sometimes I think there is 'mathematic' scale and 'eyeball' scale, and the difference can be disconcerting: if you viewed the castle from the ships POV I'm guessing the 'mathematic' scale would be 'true' and the 'eyeball' test would agree. From the high vantage point the scale of the ships is, to my eye, a problem.  Especially if you focus on the large tower part of the upper castle while simultaneously viewing the ships in the water. It creates a sense of 'wrongness'. This is all very nit-picky, and by no means does it diminish the fine work in this image.  The human optical capability coupled with the brains 'post-processing' and pattern recognition algorithms filters visual input in sometimes 'strange' ways.  Scale can be tricky over large distances, especially when looking down into a deep canyon.  Painters have historically 'fudged' the scale to 'please' the eye.  I don't know how much more you intend to spend on this image, it really is quite nice as is, but some playing with the 'eyeball' might be an interesting experiment.

aknight0

Thanks and thanks for the feedback all!  Here's another update.  More colors in the trees, messed with the ship scales, and added some more buildings and a bridge.  I think I'm done with this POV at least, though I may try one more render from the lower POV I started with originally.  

pixelpusher636

WOW!! Masterclass work man!! That canopy looks fantastic and the eroded river banks look very natural too. You really did a nice job and the castle looks like it was built right into the mountain as intended. Thanks for sharing.
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

aknight0

Quote from: pixelpusher636 on August 11, 2022, 09:49:29 PMThat canopy looks fantastic and the eroded river banks look very natural too.
Thanks!  For the trees, I used that warped image autumn leaves trick I posted a while back, but with a green image instead of an orange one.  I hadn't tried that before, but I think it worked quite well.  

As for the eroded river bank, that may have been an accident with the painted shader...but it ended up looking good so I kept it.  I guess Bob Ross was right after all!  ;D

pixelpusher636

Bob Ross 😂 for sure even as retro as his episodes are now, the basics he taught will always be relevant & true.

Also wow! I did not think of using the Autumn warp for anything other then autumn. GREAT outside the box thinking again man!
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

Dune

This update really does it. The trees' variation is great, and the bridge sets the scale of the ships right, even if they weren't enlarged. The 'problem' with the castle is that it's extraordinarily large, not like the usual castle, so eveything looks small in comaprison, but a bridge can work as a good size reference.

Hannes

Wow, what an improvement!!! Yes, the castle is really a huge one, but nevertheless now it looks great. The bridge really helps as a size reference, but the ships can't pass through I'm afraid... ???

Stormlord

Great Update, love it!
Would like to see some other perspectives of your castle scenery.

STORMLORD

KlausK

That is some epic scenery! Well done.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

aknight0

Quote from: Hannes on August 12, 2022, 07:34:53 AMbut the ships can't pass through I'm afraid
A sacrifice the kingdom is willing to make for aesthetics ;)

Here's a couple more viewpoints on this scene, just for fun.  First a higher one: 

aknight0

And a lower one: 

Hannes

Quote from: aknight0 on August 14, 2022, 05:52:02 PMA sacrifice the kingdom is willing to make for aesthetics ;)
;D ;D ;D ;D

Wow, those other views are fantastic! Especially the top view!