Castle WIP

Started by aknight0, July 18, 2022, 01:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aknight0

A super early WIP, but wanted to share this awesome free castle model pack I came across:  https://rendercrate.com/objects/RenderCrate-Medieval_Castle_Kit

Hannes

Looks great so far!!! Looking forward to your next steps. :)

It seems you have to create an account to download this model kit. It says "free", but at the bottom it says $15 per month and donating is optional. What does it mean? Is it free or not?

masonspappy

wow - seems like a nicely detailed model!

KlausK

It`s free, but you have to register.
The 15$ is a (suggested monthly) Donation which you can tick off.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Hannes

aknight0

Yeah, just uncheck the $15 box and you're good to go.  I missed that the first time as well and was confused when their "free" registration led to a PayPal login.  Kind of sneaky if you ask me.  >:(  It's a cool model though, I've been looking for a nice castle for a long time.   ;D

Hannes

Just downloaded it. Quite a Big Mac!!! Tomorrow I'll check it out. Thanks again for the link!

pixelpusher636

This is indeed a great find aknight. It's truly hard to believe it's free yet it is! I do have a question for you and the other experienced TG users.

1. How are you dealing with .usd files? If Blender what is the trick? When I opened the .usd files in blender no textures were linked.
2. In the same program you imported the usd files are you using that to separate and export the individual models with textures?

Thanks for sharing aknight, this is an amazing find with so many possibilities.

The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

pixelpusher636

Just to clarify, I wasn't asking for the entire step by step. I was genuinely curious about you longtime users workflows.
I was asking for advice on a program or workaround that would allow to import and maintain the image links. As it is now, only the base image link is intact. ???

aknight0

Sorry, I've been camping at Glacier the last few days, which is definitely going to lead to it's own set of images 🙂.  I imported the usd files into Blender, then selected and exported individual objects as obj.  Then I manually applied the texture images in Terragen, (color, roughness, metalness).  Takes quite a while though.  If anyone knows a better way I'd be interested to hear it.

pixelpusher636

I'm pretty sure you never have to apologize for ghosting the forum to go to the source of great inspiration for TG! Wow, I'm feeling envious of you again. You are in my favorite part of the country. :) Look forward to seeing some fantastic renders inspired from your trip.

As for importing into Blender— I tried both the latest public release and the alpha version and neither version did what I wanted. In TG I had a default shader with the "Base Color" image and that was it. Additionally only one object part when their should be three. Structures, Walls and towers. This only matters if it's to be textured as intended, otherwise I guess the base image is fine. The Readme file mentioned that using the usd file (depending on your software) the image textures would be setup automatically while the FBX you would have to setup the textures. I've tried importing both formats with identical results.

Maybe I'm missing something but I had thought that this should be setup like a model with PBR textures? I didn't think you could just use the default shader alone to apply the multiple images. Anyhow, sorry for all the hassle when all you were doing was sharing an amazing castle set. :) Though I am genuinely curious if anyone knows anything regarding the proper way of shading and how to achieve it.

aknight0

Some progress, but not quite where I want it.  Too hazy maybe, or maybe not hazy in the right places?  Still some work to do on the forests and the little town, and I'm not sure about the lighting direction.  

As far as Blender goes, I imported RenderCrate-Castles.usd, selected Castle_Large_A in the right-hand pane, then checked the "Limit to Selection Only" in the obj export dialog. That gave me a single building when imported in Terragen, with no texture maps (though the UV's seem to be intact, which is important).  I've never had any luck getting textures to automatically map over when converting through Blender, I've usually ended up just assigning the images in Terragen.

My understanding is that in the more recent versions of Terragen (4.5 and up), PBR materials are handled almost entirely through the Default shader.  The way I usually map them in the Default shader is:
  • Base Color or Albedo > Colour image
  • If Roughness map > Roughness image
  • or if Gloss map > Roughness image (check Invert box)
  • If Metalness map > Metalness image, set Metalness slider to 1
  • If Displacement map > Displacement image, adjust displacement multiplier to taste
  • If Opacity map > Opacity image
  • If Emmisivity map > Luminosity image (not 100% sure on this one)
  • AO (ambient occlusion) map > not used in Terragen (Can use as a color function on Default shader to emphasize crevices)
  • Normal map > not used in Terragen
  • Metallic roughness map > should be split by color channel into separate metallic and roughness maps and then used.

This is complicated by the fact that the PBR workflow in Terragen used to require more nodes, and the outdated information is the first thing that pops up when you search.  @Kevin Kipper, this would be great for a dedicated section in the documentation, since this question comes up often, and it would be great to have a single point of reference.

Here's a quote from some correspondence I had with Matt last year, "On the subject of PBR, a lot has changed since that thread. When I wrote in that thread, we had to use a network of shaders. In 4.5 the Default Shader has a number of changes to simplify the PBR workflow, and in many cases it should be possible to do everything within this shader, without resorting to external image map shaders, blend shaders or anything else. The default values have changed and are designed so that you can drop textures into the various slots and it should just work, but you might have to experiment with some of the checkboxes if it looks wrong. I added some remap checkboxes to do things that previously you had to use additional shaders for, and the metallic option removes the need to use the "high IOR" trick to simulate metals.  At the same time, the shader maintains backward compatibility with old materials."

I'm still not 100% certain I'm doing this right, so if anyone knows more feel free to chime in.  

pixelpusher636

Interesting! I was wondering if I was missing something and have often wondered why I had to use all the additional nodes and default shaders, Turns out I guess I didn't have to so thanks for the info! By the way I'm liking the progress with the castle. Looking forward to seeing where this ends up at.

Thanks again for the info.

aknight0

Here's the next iteration.  Something seems off with the scaling, but I'm not quite sure what it is.  The boats maybe?  

Dune

If you compare to the smaller windows on the castle, they seem quite alright. Maybe a tad larger, but don't they come in the right scale?
I like the rock, very natural with those hard outcrops, but I would add a little color variation especially among the decidious trees, or some patches with dead trees or other species. Canopy is a bit monocolored, IMO.