Terragen Sky - Early Access!

Started by Matt, December 10, 2022, 03:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Hi everyone!

Early Access versions of Terragen Sky are now available to everyone with a current Terragen Subscription or active maintenance on their Terragen 4 license.

Terragen Sky is a new standalone app that uses Terragen 4's renderer and volumetrics capabilities. You can choose from dozens of presets, customise them with a range of easy to use controls, or build completely new skies from scratch. You can render your skies in Terragen Sky and save them out as final renders or HDRI EXRs. You can also export the cloud and atmosphere settings to Terragen 4 if you want more advanced control or to integrate them into a Terragen scene with terrain, vegetation etc.

We hope that people who have never used Terragen before will find this new interface to be fast and easy to use, while the rest of us here in the Terragen community can use it to quickly browse skies and prototype new ones before bringing them back into Terragen.

To read the full story click here:  https://planetside.co.uk/terragen-sky/
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Ariel DK

Congratulations on the release Matt! The only thing that concern me a little bit is: could this new app slow down the development of Terragen 4?
I like the idea behind this anyway...
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

gao_jian11

RogueNZ

Nice work, there is certainly a market for this type of product and fingers crossed it does well and supports the development of TG going forward! Presume the rendering in Terragen Sky remains CPU based?

Dune

Quote from: RogueNZ on December 10, 2022, 10:39:24 PMPresume the rendering in Terragen Sky remains CPU based?
For the moment it is.

Doug

i installed Terragen Sky
it is very easy to use, slide a slider and almost instant changes, that's good
i can pick presets and change them easily
i rendered 1 picture so far, looks good

that was in less than 5 minutes

Doug

aokcub

pixelpusher636

I hate to pile on with questions during the early release as I know this time is filled with questions already etc. However, will their be a MAC version of Terragen Sky
down the road? Also I'm curious about the system requirements on Windows.

I downloaded TG Sky today and thought I'd have a go at installing on an old version (Windows 7) of windows.
I really thought I would get errors and a message forbidding the install. To my delight (and surprise) it installed without incident,
asked to download a file from Planetside which I agreed to and done! Shortcut created on the desktop.
I thought I was golden but nothing happens when I try and open the software. I'm hoping it's something simple like needing my Terragen License key location.

Can any of you good folks answer these burning questions? Thanks in advance!
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

jhmart1

I'm wondering how long it will be before a Mac version is available, and if we will still get to download if maintenance renewal comes due before it's ready? Mac versions always seem to take a long time to get released 😎, and when they do, everyone else has already been using for quite a while. Feeling a bit left behind...  😐 🤫🙂

raymoh

As I wrote elsewhere: I would not be surprised if the development of native Mac versions of Terragen would be discontinued, because the effort to develop timely working versions for new Mac hardware and OS will probably become more and more time-consuming.
"I consider global warming much less dangerous than global dumbing down"   (Lisa Fitz, German comedian)

pixelpusher636

Well it's probably like this - 
Either they are so busy working on the Mac versions that they can't be bothered to answer
Or they are too busy working on the windows versions and can't answer.
Either way, it's a simple yes or no question that is left unanswered.  ;)

Kevin Kipper

Hi Mac users!

Yes, we are planning a MAC version of Terragen Sky.  Sorry, but we don't have a release date as yet for that version.  

pixelpusher636

Quote from: Kevin Kipper on December 20, 2022, 05:19:00 PMHi Mac users!

Yes, we are planning a MAC version of Terragen Sky.  Sorry, but we don't have a release date as yet for that version. 
Thanks for the reply Mr. Kevin Kipper! Glad to hear this news.