Abandoned Cottage **FINAL**

Started by dhavalmistry, February 23, 2008, 12:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhavalmistry

this is my current work in progress....I have been really busy lately and havent got much time to work on it but this is what I have put up in 2 days...

the original render resolution is 800 x 600 and the its still rendering so I thought I would get some ideas and suggestions from you people about what to add where and minor details.....

I think the texture on the cottage is a bit too dark....what do you think??....

8hrs and still rendering

800 x 600
0.6 detail
20 AA
4,4 GI
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

I agree with you about the texture.  Do you want the grass to be uniform or more like an open field?  If more like an open field, try combining a grass object population (a small one) over the top of your procedural grass, but have the procedural grass largely fractalized to give it lots of blotchy ground.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

oh if you are talking about the field on the left....then it will be covered with trees and foliage

I also added some trees on the back of the camera to add in some more realism with shadows coming towards the cottage (since the sun is behind the cam)

I am also planning to add some groundcover and I have used two types grass here...you probably cant notice it since they are similar color but they do add some variation

rcallicotte

I meant the grass in front of the house.  It looks too rigid right now and would look good either clean cut (there's a TGC for that) or a mix of an object with your procudural grass that has been fragmented.  I've been experimenting with this idea some and your grass really works well with fragmentation to create a Kansas Plains effect.

dhavalmistry

I am sorry I still dont get the idea of what you are trying to say....maybe provide an example....

nvseal

This is looking really good. I really like the lighting on that tree to the left of the image. Where is the grass from? BTW, have you tried to make those windows relfective? If you could make it work it would look pretty good I think.

dhavalmistry

Quote from: nvseal on February 23, 2008, 01:24:14 PM
This is looking really good. I really like the lighting on that tree to the left of the image. Where is the grass from? BTW, have you tried to make those windows relfective? If you could make it work it would look pretty good I think.

one of the two grasses is from sonshine777 and I did thought about making the windows reflective but the problem is the texture for the whole cottage is built into one map including the windows...and I didnt make the model...its from DAZ

rcallicotte

I'll try on Monday.  Hope you can wait, since I think it would be a good idea.

Quote from: dhavalmistry on February 23, 2008, 12:33:23 PM
I am sorry I still dont get the idea of what you are trying to say....maybe provide an example....

dhavalmistry

Tangled-Universe

This looks very good so far. Like the trees and especially the grasses, they look very good!
The cottage is indeed a little bit too dark, but I surely wouldn't make it that much lighter...just a tad.

What I see about many images here are rather unlogical choices for rendersettings.
This scene probably took quite a while to render because of GI @ 4/4. Though the detail is only 0.6
I think rendering this image at detail 0.85 or so and GI @ 2/2 will look better, especially the trees and grasses will benefit from this.
High GI settings are useful when using heavy displaced surfaces (to prevent black spots etc.), which is not really the case here I think.

Martin

Mr_Lamppost

Looking good  :)

I agree that the textures on the cottage are a little dark.  I like the grass the way it is. If you want to add variety how about a sparse scattering of small weeds that have a darker leaf colour?

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

dhavalmistry

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 24, 2008, 08:07:51 AM
This looks very good so far. Like the trees and especially the grasses, they look very good!
The cottage is indeed a little bit too dark, but I surely wouldn't make it that much lighter...just a tad.

What I see about many images here are rather unlogical choices for rendersettings.
This scene probably took quite a while to render because of GI @ 4/4. Though the detail is only 0.6
I think rendering this image at detail 0.85 or so and GI @ 2/2 will look better, especially the trees and grasses will benefit from this.
High GI settings are useful when using heavy displaced surfaces (to prevent black spots etc.), which is not really the case here I think.

Martin

the only reason I used the GI of 4 is because I wanted some light scattering at the entrance/steps of the cottage....

anyways I added some goodies and adjusted the levels of texture in photoshop for the cottage....I also tilted the tree on the left a little...

need more suggestions on the groundcover...I just bought the Xfrog Groundcover bundle and here is the pdf gallery of all the models included in the bundle....can anyone suggest one???...

http://xfrog.safe-ssl.net/PDF/EU_Groundcover_XfrogPlants_EN.PDF

same render settings as above and took 11 hr 42 min to render!

rcallicotte

DH, here's the beginning of my idea for field grass.  I'm brought your procedural grass, changed a few things and added a grass object population.  Obviously, there are lines in the procedural that need to be figured out, but I like the mix.  Here's the TGD, if you want to play with it.  You might want to use your own grass population, since it looks fine.

dhavalmistry

I am also rendering another version of grass coverage with little color variation but as you can see its taking too long to render...

the render settings are same....

thank calico for the tgd...I will look at it in the evening...I am off to school now.....but what do you think of the updated render??...

rcallicotte

Yours looks very plush and very nice.  My TGD is more like a rough prairie.  Here's another example from my TGD I uploaded.  It doesn't take much time to render, since I'm fragging it quite a bit. 

I won't upload any more examples of this after this one, since I want to see what you come up with.