Thunderhead

Started by FrankB, March 05, 2008, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Here's the third render (actually I've cropped the rendered result - the cut-away parts haven't been so good).

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Frank

[attachimg=#]

rcallicotte

This is the best one.  This is more realistic and is magnificent in size.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: calico on March 09, 2008, 01:11:38 PM
This is the best one.  This is more realistic and is magnificent in size.

I agree!
Fantastic sense of scale!

Is this just one cloudfractal or two or more combined?
Some parts of the fractal look really awesome and some parts look 'just good' ;)

FrankB

Thanks!

It's really in the cloud layer and fractal that make it up. There's only one fractal.

I have another one cooking at the moment, and I can already see I'll have to run another one after that. I am close to getting this one nailed down to look like I want it to.

Cheers,
Frank

Tangled-Universe

Sounds good already ;) looking forward to see it! :)

monks

That's a real joy to behold!

monks

Mr_Lamppost

Can I be a tiny bit controversial and say that I still prefer the first version  :-\  For me the low softer, fuzzy billow makes it my choice, I got soaked by a cloud just like that this afternoon.  There are areas of the last one that are looking better than the first but some of the shadows in this latest version are showing a sort of random lighting variation.       
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Walli

hi,

I think I would like to see a mixture of version2 and version 3. Although version 2 is a little bit to blueish, as slight tint in version 3 would be nice.
And I like the softer "base" of the clouds, as the downsides look softer. But after all, this is a matter of taste I guess ;-)

inkydigit

awesome work Frank....OMINOUS!

dhavalmistry

there is a HUGE cotton candy machine in the sky!....watch outt!!!!! :D:D

love the clouds!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

ghotir

The clouds are great.  You need an evil sorcerer's castle on one of those hills.  :)

FrankB

Thanks again for the comments, and I agree to all of them somehow. Bear with me a little longer, I'm getting there.
The last image had the fundamental mistake that the scattering color diverted too far from the cloud color, hence all those weired shapes in the shadows. The increased edge sharpness catered to that effect, too.
In my next image, I'll have base wispiness and softness enabled again.

So long,
Frank

FrankB

I think I've got it. Although I wish I could have worked on the openexr version, this here is the 8Bit output, hence the shadows on the terrain are a bit dark, but the cloud is as it should.

I also hope that satisfies your wishes to be a mix between the good features of version 1,2 and 3, and not carry on with the deficiencies of those first 3 images..

I discovered that it needed full, large renders in order to fully see the effects the latest tiny tweaks had.
I'm really happy - I have wanted clouds like these ever since I started with TG0.8 back in 2000 or so

Thanks for your comments so far, my render friends  ;)

Frank

[attachimg=#]

Seth

very good clouds :)
but the lower part on the far left is a bit too flat to my eyes... anyway, it's very very good ^^

Saurav

The shadow areas are looking much better now however you've lost a bit of the sharpness on the highlights which I originally liked, but it's a balancing act I guess. Maybe the sharpen filter in post might work here. Like you it's also been one of my goals to create a big fluffy monster like this in TG. Congrats on this version.

p.s I think there is a tiny issue on the shadows areas in the terrain where you have crop rendered.