Thunderhead

Started by FrankB, March 05, 2008, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Quote from: Saurav on March 11, 2008, 04:25:37 AM
The shadow areas are looking much better now however you've lost a bit of the sharpness on the highlights which I originally liked, but it's a balancing act I guess. Maybe the sharpen filter in post might work here. Like you it's also been one of my goals to create a big fluffy monster like this in TG. Congrats on this version.

Thanks Saurav! In this case, I took the artist's freedom to intentionally let the bright areas shine a bit, on the expense of sharpness. I feel that matches my viewing experience with real skies quite good. You know, those bright parts in contrast with the dark parts, they glare a bit in your eyes.

Quotep.s I think there is a tiny issue on the shadows areas in the terrain where you have crop rendered.

Yeah, you spotted that :-D
I must have forgotten to blur this away ;-)

Cheers;
Frank

monks

Awesome! The base looks a lot better now- overall it looks more natural. The lower left does look flat, but I think it serves the depth of the composition overall. If you made that area clearer, you would be in danger of presenting a prefect cloud model, rather than a landscape-

monks

dhavalmistry

I am gonna be picky here and say the flatness of the base is a little too sharp...everything else is looking great!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

moodflow

Looks like you have this pretty much dialed in.  This is looking really nice now.

Any tips on the settings you used?
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

FrankB

well, clouds are 5000m tall
density 0.2
edge sharpness 3
The key to get the right cloud profile is in reducing the coverage gamma, though, so that the point from which clouds begin to "grow" is pulled down.

The fractal feature/lead-in/smallest scales = 5000/15000/20
Perlin Billows
upped buoyancy
no warping

That's pretty much it. It helps with the lighting to blend by a distance shader so that before and behind your main cloud, the sky remains empty.

Cheers,
Frank

nvseal

Thank a lot for sharing your settings, very generous of you.  :)

moodflow

Many thanks for these settings Frank. 
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

Thanks, Frank.  More to apply.  The last time you shared your settings for masking clouds revolutionized how I saw the cloud thing and I did one of my best cloud renders.  Here's to more of that!   :o
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Fantastic work Frank, impressive scales...awesome :)
Thanks for sharing your tips/tricks and settings! ;D

Martin

sonshine777

Thanks Frank, you wouldn't happen to have the Density fractal seed value for that cloud would you? I have found that the seed value changes things very much.

FrankB

Quote from: sonshine777 on March 12, 2008, 01:22:37 PM
Thanks Frank, you wouldn't happen to have the Density fractal seed value for that cloud would you? I have found that the seed value changes things very much.

You can have it, but I doubt it's going to help you much. Of course the seed changes everything, but it's more in the other settings that give you the TYPE of cloud you want.
Here's the seed: 2778

Cheers,
Frank

sonshine777