Adding small displacement to imported object

Started by reck, April 20, 2008, 10:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandrake

reck

Mandrake

I ended up with compute normal pluged into the input of the power fractal and displaced along lateral lines, withy all sorts of tweaked setting, but the whole dang time I think it was because you didn't have Plan Y selected under images. (I think)

So do Plan Y first then start all over with the dissplacement

Ogre

Also check the direction of the normals on your model. I had a similar experience and the normals on my model were flipped pointing to the interior of the model.
"If you find me feeding daisies
please turn my face up to the sky and leave me be watching the moon roll by.
What ever I was it was all because I've been on the town washing the BS down."

-Gordon Lightfoot

reck

Mandrake, thanks for taking a look. I don't think the plan Y setting should have any effect though, that's for when your using images on your object right? This object just uses colour, no images. I did change it to plan y anyway but it didn't help and neither did the compute normal unfortunately.

Ogre i've just gone back and checked the normals and the are pointing outwards.

I've attached an image to show what i'm trying to achieve, this took about 2 minutes and was created with the sphere object in tg. So if it works ok on the sphere why can't I do this on my object?

Mandrake

Yep, I knew that was what you were looking for but every time I'd get close, the polys would disappear. hehe
I don't know why I can't get it to cooperate.

Mohawk20

I'm playing with your object as well, and the first thing I'm trying is to get the displacement you want shown in colour only, so I replugged the powerfractal from displacement into colour and made the high colour red and the low colour blue.

When using pretty large scales for a terrain, I only get a purple colour. No red or blue specles, just pure purple.

When scaling down the fractal, I got more colour variation.

I got some reasonable effects when setting the scales really low!!
Here are some picts to show:
Howgh!

j meyer

Took a quick look at your model in wings3d and there is definitely
something wrong with your normals.

Mohawk20

Having played with this some more, I set the displacement the same as the scale, and plugging the powerfractal back into the displacement input, I had some trouble. Changed the displacement multiplyer in the default shader from 0.5 to 0.1 got me the following result: (see image below).

So I think there might be a problem in the object itself, maybe it has to few polygons to actually displace it properly. At least, that would be the problem in any 3D app like 3DsMax...
From other treads I gather the terrain is VERY high poly.

So I guess you'll have to try how displacement maps act...
Howgh!

reck

So if the problem is with my object any idea how I can fix it? Should I forget about tg and try and get this displacement working in Blender? When I did that displacement on the sphere I thought it looked quite good so I was hoping it would look the same on my model.

I've turned on "show normals" in blender and it appears as though all the normals are pointing outwards.

Mohawk20

And if you increase the amount of polygons? Would that work?
Howgh!

reck

Mohawk, i'll try and find some time tonight (after the football  ;D) so increase the poly count of the modal and try again.

j meyer

Some screenshots,which show you that there is some normal problem.
Did you model this with blender?Anyway,couldn't fix it by flipping normals
in TG or some other easy way unfortunately.Maybe i look into this again,
but i can't promise.

Mohawk20

I'll open it up in 3DsMax and see what I can do...
Howgh!

Ogre

According to Maya the Normals on most of the object were flipped. I fixed and attached.

Quote from: Mohawk20 on April 22, 2008, 10:45:58 AM
I'll open it up in 3DsMax and see what I can do...

Sorry but I could not let 3d max get a hold of it.... :P
"If you find me feeding daisies
please turn my face up to the sky and leave me be watching the moon roll by.
What ever I was it was all because I've been on the town washing the BS down."

-Gordon Lightfoot