System Temperature

Started by jaf, April 29, 2008, 10:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Here are my fully stressed core-temperatures.
It's making a hell of a noise ;D
I was actually planning to buy a more quiet and efficient air-cooler which is also suitable for overclocking.
I'd like to try to OC it to about 2.8 GHz.
Anybody suggestions?
Thanks in advance :)

Martin

Moose

Get one of these - http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu/u120ex/product_cpu_cooler_u120ex.htm?art=MTQyMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA== :)

As for CoreTemp... it has come to light that Intel have never released any core temperature data for desktops. The sensor on the chip only reports the distance in degrees before the temp is at the max. What that max temp actually is, nobody knows. Some (CoreTemp) use Intel's mobile chips (which there is data for) as a reference to guess at what desktop chip temps should be. So depending on how close mobile chip max temps are to desktop ones will decide how accurate CoreTemp is.

This is all explained in this long thread - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2809778#post2809778 - by the developer of a new core temperature monitor - RealTemp. Essentially it is guessing too, but he claims his guess is closer to the truth than CoreTemp - you decide, if you can be bothered to read that lengthy thread (there used to be a fuller explanation in his first post, but I notice that that has now been edited down, but Google cache still has it for the time being - http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:kz2cCnaBHAYJ:www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php%3Fp%3D2809778+realtemp&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk&client=firefox-a )

Essentially, and like Ironshirt says, the temps that you should be keeping an eye on are the CPU temp which is what most motherboards report and is the temp the chip is spec'ed at (i.e. the temps from calico's link). If your motherboard doesn't have a system monitoring utility, HardwareMonitor - http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php - will show CPU temps.

EDIT:- I just noticed this page which gives a technical explanation of RealTemp - http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/docs.php

buchvecny

yea either thermalright or one of noctuas which are my current favorites (they seem to not make to USA users tho for some reason)

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=start

You better invest some money into air cooling since 65NM quads are getting pretty heated up with each bit of voltage you add up. I d say invest up to 100bucks, dont get the first cheap blinking shit. Remember the better you cool the higher you can go with overclock thus the faster renders.

andytw

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on May 02, 2008, 12:48:40 PM
Here are my fully stressed core-temperatures.
It's making a hell of a noise ;D
I was actually planning to buy a more quiet and efficient air-cooler which is also suitable for overclocking.
I'd like to try to OC it to about 2.8 GHz.
Anybody suggestions?
Thanks in advance :)

Martin

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is a very good cheap cooler.
It's quiet and will cool a Q6600 when overclocked to at least 3.4GHz.

The best way to overclock will depend on your motherboard/BIOS/RAM.

Tangled-Universe

Thank you Moose and Buch for the info :)
That ThermalRight cooler makes a good impression so far and so do the Noctua coolers like the NH-U12F (which costs around 90 USD (45,50- euros))
Also found that Scythe coolers are supposed to be quite good and also the Cooler Master Hyper Z600.
The latter is especially silent, I'm supposed to believe :)
I'll take a more in depth look at your recommendations, thanks for the input/effort :)

Martin

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: andytw on May 05, 2008, 01:26:46 PM

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is a very good cheap cooler.
It's quiet and will cool a Q6600 when overclocked to at least 3.4GHz.

The best way to overclock will depend on your motherboard/BIOS/RAM.

Thanks Andy!
That's indeed a much cheaper cooler.
Do you have experience with it yourself or did you read somewhere else you can OC up to 3.4 GHz?
(I do not intend to OC it so far by the way)
Thanks in advance.

Martin

choronr

@T-U: Martin, Have a look at this CPU cooler. It is the one I use for my Intel quad core: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Cooler/Retail/Cl-P0401/cl-p0401.asp

Bob

jo

Hi,

I have to say, I've always though worrying about your CPU temperatures etc. was bizarre :-). I have so many other things to worry about I don't need to worry about that. Surely it's up to the machine to make sure that things don't melt down, either by design or management. Mind you, that's why I can't be bothered with building my own machines or overclocking , I rely on my computers for my livelihood and therefore use them as designed. My G5 does have a funky liquid cooling system though, even if it doesn't glow blue :-). None of my machines have ever had problems with temperature, despite all my work being processor intensive.

Actually, that's not quite true, my first Mac was a PowerComputing clone and that had a fan which failed and melted down the processor. Then they repaired it and completely forgot to hook the fan up! So another melt down. Then they lost my machine for 4 months. Sometimes I think I should have got an Apple, but that's when they were ridiculously expensive.

My Maxtor external RAID doesn't like working when my office gets hot in summer. Neither do I, my office gets very hot in mid summer so I shut everything down and do more work in the evening. The computers don't seem to mind the temperature, although their fans etc. do get going faster than usual. I usually have to shut one down just to keep the temperature in my office down! My PC adds a couple of degrees celsius.

Regards,

Jo

andytw

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on May 05, 2008, 01:51:18 PM

Thanks Andy!
That's indeed a much cheaper cooler.
Do you have experience with it yourself or did you read somewhere else you can OC up to 3.4 GHz?
(I do not intend to OC it so far by the way)
Thanks in advance.

Martin

I don't have this cooler myself but Custom PC magazine has it as it's recommended air cooler.

Custom PC magazine managed to get a Q6600 to run at 3.6GHz on standard (i.e. air) cooling.

I have my Q6600 running at 3.0GHz cooled by a basic water cooling system.
As a rough guide measuring CPU temperature using coretemp a Q6600 should run at around 50-55C at stock speed when fully utilised, and around 60-65C when overclocked.
Any temperatures above 70C are too high for extended use. 

JimB

It's not your CPU's you should worry about overheating, it's your hard drives. That went for PC and G5 in my experience.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: jo on May 05, 2008, 07:11:47 PM
Hi,

I have to say, I've always though worrying about your CPU temperatures etc. was bizarre :-). I have so many other things to worry about I don't need to worry about that. Surely it's up to the machine to make sure that things don't melt down, either by design or management. Mind you, that's why I can't be bothered with building my own machines or overclocking , I rely on my computers for my livelihood and therefore use them as designed. My G5 does have a funky liquid cooling system though, even if it doesn't glow blue :-). None of my machines have ever had problems with temperature, despite all my work being processor intensive.

Actually, that's not quite true, my first Mac was a PowerComputing clone and that had a fan which failed and melted down the processor. Then they repaired it and completely forgot to hook the fan up! So another melt down. Then they lost my machine for 4 months. Sometimes I think I should have got an Apple, but that's when they were ridiculously expensive.

My Maxtor external RAID doesn't like working when my office gets hot in summer. Neither do I, my office gets very hot in mid summer so I shut everything down and do more work in the evening. The computers don't seem to mind the temperature, although their fans etc. do get going faster than usual. I usually have to shut one down just to keep the temperature in my office down! My PC adds a couple of degrees celsius.

Regards,

Jo

Yeah lol...my PC is also a little room-heater when rendering.

I see your point you don't worry about your cooling.
Neither do I have to, 55 degrees celsius under load is good enough.
I'm just interested to replace it for overclocking.
Like I said I hope to overclock it to something about 2.8 GHz.
If the rendertimes are being cut down significantly (>15% e.g.) I'll keep it overclocked.
If it isn't I'll keep it as it is right now, saving my CPU and give it a longer life ;D

Martin

buchvecny

noneed to fear overclocking, unless you get freak and push some crazy voltage in CPU, nothing can happen. Make sure you have some brand power supply too.

Xpleet

MY CPU hits 59°C if the day is hot and my render enduring.

The internal temperatures would be aruond 68-70 on the two hottest cores. With that being, my fan still automatic at 2/3 :P.