System Temperature

Started by jaf, April 29, 2008, 10:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaf

With the new TG2 release and it's multi-threading capabilities, I thought this is a good time to post this.

Most of us know this, but for anyone new to running their CPU's at 100%, make sure your system runs cool enough to support a  render.  It's that time of year for many of us where the hotter weather is on it's way.

It's amazing how fast the CPU temperature can raise.  My dual core goes from an idle temperature of 26.7/80 (C/F) to 51.1/124 in a minute or so when I max. my CPU's.

I'm not sure about the temperature buildup on the newer processors, so maybe this isn't a concern, but it's aways good to give your system a cleaning and checkup.  Take a few minutes to see how your system fares under 100% load.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Ironshirt

The cores of my Q6600 have an idle temp of app. 32°C (with a passive cooling solution). Under 100% load they raise to approx. 50°C very quick (but stay at this temp). Thats nothing to worry about. If you have a look at e.g. speedfan, you will notice that the CPU temp is different to those of the cores. In my system the CPU temp goes to max 32°C under full load. Thats 20°C difference to the temp of the cores. So the CPU temp. is the more important temperature I guess. 
As long as no temp.(neither the CPU, nor the cores' temps) raise above 60°C, everything is ok. Above 60° CPU's suffer and lifetime of CPUs will be shortened. (because of the silicium)

sjefen

I've never seen mine go over 34°C
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

trailgirl

How do you know what the CPU temp is? I have an iMac.

choronr

@trailgirl: Download 'CoreTemp'; a free program which will display the temperature of all your cores. I've used it for about a year now and it works well.

NWsenior07

So what is considered dangerous or bad for a CPU, my system shot up to around 154-160 farenhiet when I started a render.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bigben

For some of us it's coming into winter.  I'm currently sitting on a train on a frosty morning with a render running in the background to ensure my lap is nice and warm  :) There's nothing like an application that can keep a processor consistently busy enough for toasty warmth  ;D

Matt

Quote from: bigben on April 29, 2008, 05:57:23 PM
For some of us it's coming into winter.  I'm currently sitting on a train on a frosty morning with a render running in the background to ensure my lap is nice and warm  :) There's nothing like an application that can keep a processor consistently busy enough for toasty warmth  ;D

Well, if that's all you wanted, why didn't you just say so? I can write a CPU-toaster in a few minutes if you really want! ;D

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

rmfrase

Next they'll be blaming the Terragen Group for causing the "ficticious" Global Warming issue.

;D

Marcos Silveira

Quote from: bigben on April 29, 2008, 05:57:23 PM

There is never winter in the tropics. ;D

bigben

Quote from: Matt on April 29, 2008, 06:57:23 PM

Well, if that's all you wanted, why didn't you just say so? I can write a CPU-toaster in a few minutes if you really want! ;D

Matt

hmmm crumbs in the keyboard.. :(  ... but the hotspot on my laptop might be useful with a cup holder. The splash guard required for it might be a bit impractical though.  ;)

inkydigit

Quote from: trailgirl on April 29, 2008, 12:41:37 PM
How do you know what the CPU temp is? I have an iMac.

download istat pro dashboard widget (freeware)
http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/istatpro.html
from the page:
About iStat pro
The ultimate system monitoring widget, consisting of nine sections which can be shown or hidden.

It features highly detailed information on CPUs (up to eight cores), memory, hard drives, IP and external IP, bandwidth, battery, wireless keyboard and mouse battery, uptime, temperatures, and fans. You'll know exactly what's going on inside your Mac.

What's New in this Version
- Improved support for Santa Rosa based MacBook Pros
- Improved support for MacBook Airs
- New Purple skin
- Improved support for Mac OS X 10.5
- Updated network code
- Better support for LaunchCFM app names in processes section
- Improved naming for some temperature and fan sensors
- Added process count to uptime section
- UI bug fixes
- Other minor bug fixes

its pretty neat!
cheers
inky

trailgirl

Wow, great widget! Thanks, Inky.

buchvecny

Quote from: Ironshirt on April 29, 2008, 11:22:41 AM
The cores of my Q6600 have an idle temp of app. 32°C (with a passive cooling solution). Under 100% load they raise to approx. 50°C very quick (but stay at this temp). Thats nothing to worry about. If you have a look at e.g. speedfan, you will notice that the CPU temp is different to those of the cores. In my system the CPU temp goes to max 32°C under full load. Thats 20°C difference to the temp of the cores. So the CPU temp. is the more important temperature I guess. 
As long as no temp.(neither the CPU, nor the cores' temps) raise above 60°C, everything is ok. Above 60° CPU's suffer and lifetime of CPUs will be shortened. (because of the silicium)

uhhh that pretty strange for me. 50C max Q6600 with passive cooling?? Unbelievable. Either you have massive air going through your case or live in Alaska.