Swimming turtle

Started by Kevin F, May 07, 2008, 03:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

Quote from: Kevin F on May 07, 2008, 04:20:04 PM
Quote from: Mohawk20 on May 07, 2008, 03:16:31 PM
Great water and rocks. I think the turtles needs a bumpmap for a bit of displacement on the shield...

Thanks. How would the bumpmap work exactly?

It is a black and white image, the same as the colour texture, only then the dark is where there would be no displacement, and white with high displacement. It would be entered in the default shader you use for the texture, only in the displacement tab.

Could you possibly post the texture image here? Then I could try to make something of it..
Howgh!

mrwho

wow, great image. The second one is much better, how did you do the water so well??

Kevin F

Quote from: Mohawk20 on May 07, 2008, 04:36:17 PM
Quote from: Kevin F on May 07, 2008, 04:20:04 PM
Quote from: Mohawk20 on May 07, 2008, 03:16:31 PM
Great water and rocks. I think the turtles needs a bumpmap for a bit of displacement on the shield...

Thanks. How would the bumpmap work exactly?

It is a black and white image, the same as the colour texture, only then the dark is where there would be no displacement, and white with high displacement. It would be entered in the default shader you use for the texture, only in the displacement tab.

Could you possibly post the texture image here? Then I could try to make something of it..

removed.

Mohawk20

Where did you get the object from? I'd like to have some fun with it as well...
And it would help with getting the settings right on the bumpmap.

Anyways, here it is, as well as a screenshot of how it should be applied:

Moderator note: image removed due to copyright concerns and at request of thread starter.
Howgh!

inkydigit

very nice work!

the bump looks good too, although it looks like the bump for the flippers should be inverted?

Seth

the second one is very good !

Mohawk20

Quote from: inkydigit on May 08, 2008, 07:34:51 AM
...it looks like the bump for the flippers should be inverted?

Actually, I think it shouldn't be displaced at all, looks more like just a flat pattern of lines on the turtle's skin...
That's why I'd like to have the modle to experiment with. On the other hand, as long as the displacement isn't that strong, it wouldn't be noticable.
Howgh!

RedSquare

KevinF -
QuoteO.K. here's a much better one. Really happy with this one.
So you should be, so you should be.  Agreed, one of the best closeup water scenes I've seen also.

Mohawk20

How is this for displacement?

If you all are statisfied I'll upload the map here...
Howgh!

Kevin F

Quote from: Mohawk20 on May 09, 2008, 01:34:41 AM
How is this for displacement?

If you all are statisfied I'll upload the map here...

This looks good, but how would the shell look with specular highlights?
I used 0.5 reflectivity, tint 1, index of refraction 1.33, roughness 0.05.
with a diffuse colour of 0.275

Kevin F

Tangled-Universe

I'd try something in the range of reflectivity: 0.2 - 0.4 and roughness 0.4 - 0.8
Most of the times I use roughness-values 2-3x greater than reflectivity, otherwise the highlights will be too bright (to my taste).

gregsandor

Hi Mohawk, here's the map I used. It's a modified original i.e it has a lighter green shell as the original comes out too dark. This was a poser freebie so I don't think there's a copyright issue.

The price has nothing to do with copyright.  You need to check the license for the model before you post it or the textures the original artist made; in general you may post a link to the model and textures and usually may not post them themselves.

Mohawk20

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on May 09, 2008, 04:20:55 AM
I'd try something in the range of reflectivity: 0.2 - 0.4 and roughness 0.4 - 0.8
Most of the times I use roughness-values 2-3x greater than reflectivity, otherwise the highlights will be too bright (to my taste).
The specular reflectivity is actually 0.5188, with roughness at 0.2...
The sun is at the wrong position I guess.

I set the reflectivity of the eyes at 1, but that's not very visible either.

I'll play with it a bit more. But the bumpmap is statisfactory?

Quote from: gregsandor on May 09, 2008, 07:05:53 AM
The price has nothing to do with copyright.  You need to check the license for the model before you post it or the textures the original artist made; in general you may post a link to the model and textures and usually may not post them themselves.
I have a copy of poser as well, and if Kevin would have posted the link, I would have downloaded it myself, so I don't think we're in a lot of trouble.
Still something to be aware of..
Howgh!

RedSquare

Well looking at the shell texture although sort of painty, when you look at the renders I can't help but think that it is suffering stretching or is it just me being picky.  :D  As to your modifications, I think much better.

gregsandor

I have a copy of poser as well, and if Kevin would have posted the link, I would have downloaded it myself, so I don't think we're in a lot of trouble.
Still something to be aware of..

Unless he has the right to distribute the model, he should post the link instead.  Nobody said anything about being in trouble; its about your right as an artist to control the distribution of your creations, and respecting other artists' right to theirs.  Start emailing copies of the free version of TG2 to your friends and I expect you'll get a programmer's perspective on copyright too.  Lets make a new thread so we can discuss it without sidetracking Kevin's thread.

The render is really nice, Kevin.  Also, the bumpmap is very good and the result is right on.  The texture stretching looks like a result of the model's uv's being stretched.  You can either remap the model itself or squash the texture map until the map is correct.  In water that shallow there would be some silt and bubbles, maybe a bit of foam.