Wild Late Afternoon (WIP)

Started by GioMez, July 02, 2008, 07:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GioMez

Still practicing with vegetation. I wanted to see how TGDTP4 handled a very large number of objects.
I used Lightning's Grass Pack 1 and Brush Pack 2 for the small vegetation (toghether with the grass generated inside TGD)and the Xfrog models given with the TP and the Common Ash model by Lighning (excellent work in the models, Lightning! ;)).

C&C are welcome!
I don't have much time to spend in playing with TGD, but I'll try to find some hours  ::)

rcallicotte

Pretty nice, though the trees just don't have that realistic luminescence I expect from tree leaves.  This is a consistent problem with TG2.  How did you make your clouds?  Those look great.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Seth

with another sun orientation and light, it could be a very good render ^^

Oshyan

Different lighting and/or GI settings, and possibly transparency adjustments (if it's not in use it should be) would help vegetation lightness. It's a very nice image already though. I particularly like the clouds, even though they're not the focus of the image.

- Oshyan

Mahnmut

Hi there.
Talking about the leaves, for me a translucency value of about 0.25 in the leaves shader did it, the difference is impressing.
Best Regards,
Jan

GioMez

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Here is another version. Tweaked atmo, lights (sun & enviro) and populations (the first version seems too caotic imho).
Now I'll work on the vegetation and on the details. With the final version a hi-res version will come, I hope ;D

The clouds are simple low level cumulus with theese settings:

Density: 35
Edge Sharpness: 0.03
Depht: 3069

I also changed the colors increasing blue.

lightning

this is very nice personally though i dont think you need the common ash tree in this scene

Mr_Lamppost

I've commented on the latest one over on Ashundar but I actually prefer the shadowed foreground of the earlier versions.  I definitely agree about adding translucency to the leaves. 
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

GioMez

Quote from: lightning on July 02, 2008, 06:07:41 PM
this is very nice personally though i dont think you need the common ash tree in this scene

But I really like the model  ;D

rcallicotte

Thanks for sharing the clouds settings.  I like the lighting on this one, but the trees and all need that extra vibrancy.  It seems difficult to get that at times, but I've seen it in Seth's work and Phylloxera's and TU's, as well as others.  I have yet to learn it, so I'm not as much help as I'd like to be.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

GioMez

I'm trying to render another version, but sudden appears the runtime c++ error  :-\ I'll render it in 3 separate crops.
I've added some translucency to the trees and I've changed again the populations and the atmosphere.

For the coluds, I'll try to post a file with the complete settings.

moodflow

I hate to say it, but though the newer one looks ok, I much prefer the original.   8)
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Seth

Quote from: moodflow on July 03, 2008, 04:27:24 PM
I hate to say it, but though the newer one looks ok, I much prefer the original.   8)
agree... the last one seems to use a flat light... but if you continue to work on it i am sure you're gonna find something reaaal cool ! ;)

Zylot

Definately a preference for the above images vs the new render.

GioMez

Ok.. I guess I should go back to the "origins"  ;D
In the meantime another rendering with some of the corrections you suggested. Added translucency and more shadow areas. Also tweaked again the atmo (I think I will never touch it anymore).

What do you think? I wanted to render it larger, but it was frustrating having a runtime error every quarter of hour :-\

Thank you for your precious C&Cs!