rock study

Started by inkydigit, July 11, 2008, 04:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkydigit

some rocks...no functions, all procedural fractal displacements

Maximus

This is great! love the overhang and other things. Real nice work :) plz do explain how you managed to create this..

/ Magnus

chaps

Very natural result.

I am also interested to know how you achieve these stratas.  ???

Pascal.

inkydigit

thanks for commenting, I am glad you liked it!
for the basic terrain shape I used a fractal terrain, and still in the terrain group, I used the redirect shader with a power fractal plugged into the x and z slots, I added a strata and outcrops shader, and then applied another redirect shader with a power fractal plugged into the Y slot to add a wavy effect to the strata.
cheers
Inky

Phylloxera

Good work, I like the colours !

dandelO

Really cool! The only crit' I have is that the horizontal strata lines seem a little too sharp, or maybe just too closely packed.

Great displacements!

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

moodflow

Very nice work.  These type of rocks can be difficult to pull off properly in TG2.

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Mahnmut

Besides everything mentioned, I like the little patch of smooth water close to the rock.

EBAndrew

Them's are some sexy stratas!
-Andrew

Seth

very good job !!!
the displacements are good, the light is very realistic !

bobbystahr

Quote from: inkydigit on July 11, 2008, 04:37:06 AM
As I noted at ashundar, truely great rocks IMHO, but in Reply #3 you say you use a couple of redirect shaders...aren't those accessible thru the Functions Menu?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Phylloxera

Quote from: bobbystahr on July 11, 2008, 11:21:27 PM
Quote from: inkydigit on July 11, 2008, 04:37:06 AM
As I noted at ashundar, truely great rocks IMHO, but in Reply #3 you say you use a couple of redirect shaders...aren't those accessible thru the Functions Menu?

En français on dirait : "quel casse couilles" c'est une expression bien sûre très imagée, mais tellement parlante !
In French one would say: “quel casse couilles” it is a very picturesque expression of course, but so much speaking !
The literal translation of "casse couilles" could be "breakage testicles" !

Seth

chaps

Quotefrom: bobbystahr on Today at 03:21:27 AM
Quotefrom: inkydigit on July 11, 2008, 08:37:06 AM

From Wikepedia:
The mathematical concept of a function expresses dependence between two quantities, one of which is given (the independent variable, argument of the function, or its "input") and the other produced (the dependent variable, value of the function, or "output"). A function associates a single output to each input element drawn from a fixed set, such as the real numbers.

So I think that any picture may be considered as a function from the pixel set to the rgb color set. ;D

I'm sure you are all very grateful for this luminous explanation... poil au menton.

Pascal.