Conjunction BIG

Started by Mahnmut, July 31, 2008, 10:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahnmut

I watched Jim Hensons "Dark Crystal" yesterday and that´s what came of it!
There is a lot of great landscapes in that movie, mostly matte-painting.

C&C welcome as always,
Best regards,
Jan

inkydigit

nice work..seems there may be some noise in the atmo?
(could be me though!)
dark crystal was great!!

Mahnmut

Thanks inkydigit.
There definitely is noise in the atmosphere.
I could say I like it this way, but the truth is, it is a question of rendertimes.
This one took 5 hours, thats much when your loud computer stands in the room you live and sleep in.
Yesterday I wached The Dark Crystal for the first time since I was a child. Now I know why I was afraid back then!
Best regards,
Jan

rcallicotte

More atmospheric quality will help this a lot.  Don't necessarily need the Detail Quality to go up, though it might help.  Try a crop render for just the atmosphere, when the quality of the atmosphere is set to 64.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mahnmut

Thanks Calico.
I think you are right, but atmospheric quality also influences rendertime.
Right at the moment I got another problem:
I made this image yesterday Before I Upgraded to 19991.
I opened some old tgds since then without problems, but not this one!
I will post this in another section also.
Best Regards,
Jan

Seth

i want to see it with bigger value on atmo ;)

Mahnmut

I am experimenting at this very moment to find out why tg19991 crashes once  I open this tgd (wich I made yesterday with the older version).

???

Update:
I had not specified a projection camera for my imagemap.
That was no problem in the older version unless you wanted to change the POV,
in 19991 it leads to immediate crash.
Having that solved I will see how long it takes me to render a smooth atmosphere.
Best Regards,
Jan

rcallicotte

Cool, Jan.  I want to see more.  ;D

Mahnmut

There is still a lot missing.
It´s a crop render as you see, detail could be better (0.45)
Soft shadows are turned off, what is good for the atmosperic shadows and rendertime, but bad for the ground.
I dont know if I should increase the luninosity of the pattern on the "tower" to make it look less like a pure natural formation.
If anyone wants to see even more he or she will have to wait till I can afford a new computer or to render it for me.
There is only one imagemap, this render took 7.5 hours on my single core 1.3ghz pc with 1.6 gb ram.
Can anyone tell me what effect the new feature "GI blur radius" has on rendertimes?
Best regards,
Jan

Cyber-Angel

Hi Mahnmut,

I'd be happy to render this for you if you like? PM me with the details like final render size and the TGD file, and where to send the finished image? That is if you'd like.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel     

Matt

Jan,

Theoretically, GI blur radius will not make much difference to render times. It might be possible to find examples where it increases render times and others where it has the opposite effect. Increasing GI blur radius may smooth out GI if it is noticeably splotchy (which doesn't seem to be the case here), and decreasing it may improve detail in your GI but possibly increase splotchiness.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Mahnmut

Thanks Matt!

And Thanks Cyber-Angel, here is the TGD.
I´ll PM you al ink to the imagemap.

Mahnmut

With a big "THANK YOU" to Cyber-Angel I can present the conjunction now in a resolution some of you wanted to see!
I hope you like it.

Best Regards,
Jan

MacGyver

Oh, you bet! ;D
Thank you Mahnmut and Cyber-Angel! :D
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

rcallicotte

I like the creativity.  It could have more in it, but I'm not sure what.  I get this sense all the time in my images.