Ways to get X Frog plants converted to TGO format?

Started by moodflow, January 13, 2007, 11:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodflow

Anyone know of any ways to get X Frog plants converted to TGO format?
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Ricowan

You can do it in TG2.  Save the plant as a wavefront (.obj) object and load it into TG2.  In the node network, right-click on the object you loaded and save it in the tgo format.  If you don't have have XFrog and only have .xfr files, then you're out of luck as I'm not aware of any application that can convert the one into the other.

Rich

moodflow

Yea, I was considering purchasing some libraries, not X Frog itself, as I don't plan on building plants manually.

Thanks for the info.  I'll figure something out.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Ricowan

If you purchase them in the .obj format then you're all set.  The pre-built plant collections available from Greenworks includes .obj format version.  I believe some of the online 3D sellers also sell individual XFrog plants (and maybe groups too) in the .obj format.

Rich

FrankThomas

The Geostation

Quote from: Ricowan on January 13, 2007, 12:07:22 PM
You can do it in TG2.  Save the plant as a wavefront (.obj) object and load it into TG2.  In the node network, right-click on the object you loaded and save it in the tgo format.  If you don't have have XFrog and only have .xfr files, then you're out of luck as I'm not aware of any application that can convert the one into the other.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I had a try at this and managed to try and save the .tgo (not .tgc) file and couldn't find it at all in the directory :(   Hmmmm... either something's wrong or Planetside hasn't yet fully implemented this possible way of solving things.

Andrew Randle
The Geostation
Andrew Randle
The Geostation

Oshyan

TGO saving definitely works in the current version and due to the OBJ rendering issues it's a recommended workaround at present. You may need to append the .tgo extension when saving as TG2 has a bug that results in an extensionless file in certain save situations.

OBJ loading and rendering compatibility will be improved in the future and the standard XFrog object libraries should be fine, even without conversion to TGO.

- Oshyan

The Geostation

Thanks Oshyan, I'll give that a try tonight :)

Andrew Randle
The Geostation
Andrew Randle
The Geostation

The Geostation

Argh! That didn't work either  :'(

Using XP-64 operating system.   Has anyone had any definite success with translating a .obj to .tgo via the "Save Object File..." by right clicking in the object's internal network?

Andrew Randle
The Geostation
Andrew Randle
The Geostation

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Lucio

Quote from: The Geostation on January 19, 2007, 01:46:55 PM
Argh! That didn't work either  :'(

Using XP-64 operating system.   Has anyone had any definite success with translating a .obj to .tgo via the "Save Object File..." by right clicking in the object's internal network?

Andrew Randle
The Geostation

You have to try software such as Wings3D or Silo, that export .obj formats that doesn't cause TG to crash

Oshyan

Geostation, I have certainly had success personally with this export process. I know many others have as well, judging by the reports of people using this recommended workaround.

Can you give specifics about the problem(s) you're encountering? Do you get any error messages? Have you tried multiple objects?

- Oshyan

The Geostation

Hi Oshyan,

I've had a go at creating a tree in xfrog, using textures for the trunk and leaves.   Saved as a .obj file.

This is imported into TG2TP as a .obj file, which causes the scene to crash.

I go to the object area in the node network, right-click on the "Pop Tree.obj" and select "Internal Network" - the view in the nodal network then shifts to the "Tree.obj" box.

I right-click on the "Tree.obj" box, select "Save Object File...", then (as you previously suggested) type the full filename as "Tree.tgo" (also tried "Tree" in the past), then click the save button (noting the directory it is saved to).   No error messages, just an almost too quick completion of the save process.

Then I spend the next 2 minutes searching the directory for a .tgo file, also using the Windows file search facility to scour the whole C: drive.   Not there :(   Most odd  ???   O/S is XP 64bit.

Going back up a level and the whole tree population description can be saved as a clip file, but below that and the .tgo individual tree export doesn't seem to happen.

Many thanks,

Andrew Randle
The Geostation
Andrew Randle
The Geostation

Oshyan

Try importing the object without a population - you would want to recreate the population using a TGO reader anyway so doing it as a population initially does you no good. The presence of the populator would be the main difference between what you're doing and what I've done, so I'd eliminate that as being at fault first. If that doesn't help perhaps you can zip/rar/7z the object and either post it here, or email to support@planetside.co.uk if it's too large for the forums.

- Oshyan

The Geostation

Hi again!

I'VE SOLVED IT.   Funnily enough I solved it and checked your message and found you recommended the same solution.   Tried exporting a single tree from the default landscape, and it worked (!!! Happy Happy Joy Joy).

Many thanks,

Andrew Randle
The Geostation
Andrew Randle
The Geostation