Western Hills

Started by choronr, August 04, 2008, 01:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

The 4097 terrain was uploaded to TG2 and is called Moonlight Peak, CA.
Thanks to:

jcinbama for the Eucalyptus trees
  buzzzzz for the reworked Small bush2
  klas for the graz7
  and, to a friend for the Shack

rcallicotte

Cool.  Everything looks pretty good, but the grass clumps need to be randomized.  The lighting in the shadows seems to be too light...too grey.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

choronr

Thanks Calico; I had tried to increase the GI from 2 to 4 but experienced render problems. Instead, I used a fill light to increase the backlighting - the shack was too dark. Also, in alpha 5, there is no setting to randomize.

moodflow

Nice image, but I think it could use a bit more color variation on the surfaces.  Don't feel too bad though... I've been trying to assemble and render a certain image for over 2 months now with no luck.  I keep finding "flaws" and have to fix them, or then the app will crash. 
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

By "randomize", I mean using a Density Shader...like a Cloud Shader.  Not sure how much you can do this in the free version, but try using 11 in the Soft Shadow's setting.

Quote from: choronr on August 04, 2008, 11:51:44 AM
Thanks Calico; I had tried to increase the GI from 2 to 4 but experienced render problems. Instead, I used a fill light to increase the backlighting - the shack was too dark. Also, in alpha 5, there is no setting to randomize.

Oshyan

Quote from: choronr on August 04, 2008, 11:51:44 AM
The "randomize" setting in the populators never did anything anyway. It was removed as it was not yet implemented.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Hi Bob!

Cool work, looks very good so far!
Agree with Moodflow about the color variations. You might also try to add some extra bumpy details to the flat surfaces, especially on the right.
I like the soft clouds and the tree-models. They don't draw too much attention, good!
I think adding the fill light was a good choice. The lighting looks quite good now, however the color-toning is a bit off in the lighter shadows. Perhaps you've changed the "soft clip effect" in the renderer node settings?
It's not really disturbing, just wondering.

Martin

choronr

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on August 12, 2008, 04:35:41 AM
Hi Bob!

Cool work, looks very good so far!
Agree with Moodflow about the color variations. You might also try to add some extra bumpy details to the flat surfaces, especially on the right.
I like the soft clouds and the tree-models. They don't draw too much attention, good!
I think adding the fill light was a good choice. The lighting looks quite good now, however the color-toning is a bit off in the lighter shadows. Perhaps you've changed the "soft clip effect" in the renderer node settings?
It's not really disturbing, just wondering.

Martin
Thanks Martin for your encouragements. I did not change the soft clip settings. One of my biggest grips with TG2 is working with vegetation. You can see my recent posts regarding this matter in the support section.

BlueRose

Nice image but the scale seems a bit out when you compare the grass clumps to the trees, and then to the cabin, - the grass seems to be very big in comparison to the trees.

Also from a practical point of view, i dont think that would be an ideal place for a cabin, as it looks like its been placed right in the path of where any water/flooding from heavy rainfall would be channelled FYI

rcallicotte

You mean like this - http://www.explorehistoricalif.com/images/cabin.jpg ?

[edit - removed the other images due to broken links]

Quote from: BlueRose on August 12, 2008, 08:04:11 PM
...looks like its been placed right in the path of where any water/flooding from heavy rainfall would be channelled FYI

choronr

Thanks calico. Here out west, the early, hungry gold seekers planted their shacks wherever they could because of their greed and competition
Quote from: BlueRose on August 12, 2008, 08:04:11 PM
Nice image but the scale seems a bit out when you compare the grass clumps to the trees, and then to the cabin, - the grass seems to be very big in comparison to the trees.

Also from a practical point of view, i dont think that would be an ideal place for a cabin, as it looks like its been placed right in the path of where any water/flooding from heavy rainfall would be channelled FYI
.The scale for the sage plants is about right as these shacks were quite small; and, what is grass is actually a variety of agave which grows a bit tall in comparison to the sage.   

BlueRose

ahh that makes more sense, kinda