vue - Spectral Atmospheres 2

Started by reck, August 13, 2008, 01:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

cool image but i notice that we still see some grain...
the lower part is very good but the upper side presents some density and lighting problem in the clouds :)
i am not ass picking here, i had exactly the same problem with clouds i made some weeks ago... (remember the "perfect sky Frank ? has the same lighting with front sun)

PorcupineFloyd

I don't want to be an... well, you know the word, but look what I've just found on Cornucopia - Terrapak.

I especially liked this part:
TerraPakā„¢ is an easy-to-use, but advanced toolkit for users of Vue 6 and above. With TerraPak, and a few enlightened clicks, Vue quickly replicates the hyper-reality seen in many 3d landscape images and photos, including those from Terragenā„¢. (...)

Well, that's something.

FrankB

... it even gets better when you read on ..... and then ..... behold the example images ;D ;D

PorcupineFloyd

Ain't that lovely to see a $22.95 "tool" for Vue which is supposed to mimic Terragen 0.9?

neuspadrin

"Many of the images you'll see at the TerraPak website were rendered at a resolution of 1600 x 900, in under 20 minutes! "

wow... and terragen .9 and 2 (though it would be a waste of tg2's power) can do images like that in the same amount of time! Seeing as they don't look impressive at all.

and agreed, a 23 buck additional fee to get tg .9 quality.

the multiple day renders are generally crazy good, and since support of multithreading tg2 has been doing stuff in much better time for me.

"Order TerraPak now and receive TGHarvest as a bonus!  28 image driven materials harvested from actual Terragen surfaces. "
Soo.... you make a surface in tg .9... then move it to vue....   

surfaces in tg .9 are like NOTHING compared to the awesome of tg2.

FrankB

couldn't resist to compare render times. This one here took 11 min 53 seconds. So not too bad, I suppose. The cloud lighting is not too bad either, I think. Just a quickie, though.

Regards,
Frank

ps: hmm, maybe the jpeg compression was a little strong.

Mohawk20

Wow Frank, these aren't even that noisy...
Howgh!

Walli

what did you use to cook those nice clouds? CoreI7?

FrankB

Quote from: Walli on April 08, 2009, 04:02:50 AM
what did you use to cook those nice clouds? CoreI7?

why? because they're so crappy or because they're so neat? ;-)

[edit] ah, now I get it :-) I have read "Corel 7", but you actually meant Core i7. Yes, a Core i7 would be the answer. I could have decreased render times some some, thought, and still have comparable render quality with the vue image [/edit]

Walli

as I said, they are nice! But ten minutes on a P4 is different from 10 minutes on a CoreI7. I think I am getting one of those beasts as soon as they have this "get box with vista and free windows 7 updates" kind of deals.

But back to topic - Vue can produce some very nce atmospheres. And a lot of people say Vue 7 renders much faster. But in my experience Vue also takes a while to render, if you want to get really good results.
In most cases I prefer the look of Terragen.

Walli

oh, about "cook" - I sometimes use cooking as "replacement" for the term rendering, as machines sometimes get hot. Sometimes I am also frying my pictures ;-)

dandelO

Quote from: PG on April 06, 2009, 02:25:03 PM
That image is much nicer. Still too "bubbly" for my tastes but that is, like you say, because vue clouds are developed differently to TG2 clouds

worse ;D

:D :D :D

That's one of the funniest lines I've read for ages!

sjefen

Quote from: Hetzen on April 05, 2009, 07:04:02 PM
Mental Ray has started to get good, but as far as I'm concerned Vray is better. Maybe I haven't seen what the latest Mental Ray can do...

Here are some Mental Ray renders.
It should prove that Mental Ray is really a beast behind the right hands.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: sjefen on April 18, 2009, 09:56:50 PM
Quote from: Hetzen on April 05, 2009, 07:04:02 PM
Mental Ray has started to get good, but as far as I'm concerned Vray is better. Maybe I haven't seen what the latest Mental Ray can do...

Here are some Mental Ray renders.
It should prove that Mental Ray is really a beast behind the right hands.

- Terje

Oh haha, that's funny, I just posted a new topic about these fantastic renders. Didn't see this post until now.
But you're right, in the right hands it can give magnificent results!

rcallicotte

Wow, sfjen, no kidding.  These are amazing.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?