Dark clouds

Started by Kranky, February 01, 2009, 04:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kranky

Hello,

I've finished my new project. At first, I created the sky and then, I put the landscape under the sky ;)
Rendered in 1920x1200, detail 0.9, AA 6 in about 2 hours.

FrankB

Very good, congratulations. a real beauty!

Seth

great atmo and light !
good render ^^

domdib

The priority you gave to the sky really shows - excellent sky that would probably enhance a number of different landscapes.

Tangled-Universe

Beautiful work! Looks very natural!
I think everything is just fine, lighting, atmo + clouds, grasses etc. The trees might do with a little bit more translucency or lighter colors.

Martin

Hannes

I love especially the clouds and the background.

old_blaggard

Very realistic and very beautiful! Great work!
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

Lovely setup.  I agree about the translucency in the leaves.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Cyber-Angel

I would have to say that I am not sure about what has been said about the translucency of the leaves (RE: Needles) since we're dealing with conifer like trees, given the sun angle, the Point of view, the angle of the camera relative to the sun and the amount and position of the clouds I'd say the lighting of the trees given these factors seams correct. If is important to note that Conifer Forests have an Albedo level between 0.09 to 0.15 whereas deciduous trees (Broad Leaf Types) have an Albedo value of about 0.15 to 0.18 meaning that Conifer Forests will always look darker.

From a compositional standpoint the darkness of the trees gives weight to the sides of the image forcing the viewers eye into the image, it also sets the desired emotional resonance when viewing the image, which IMHO is the point, all that aside "Each to their own" as they say.  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel                   

darthvader

Lovely image! my only critique is the small amount of graniness in the clouds

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on February 02, 2009, 05:30:13 PM
I would have to say that I am not sure about what has been said about the translucency of the leaves (RE: Needles) since we're dealing with conifer like trees, given the sun angle, the Point of view, the angle of the camera relative to the sun and the amount and position of the clouds I'd say the lighting of the trees given these factors seams correct. If is important to note that Conifer Forests have an Albedo level between 0.09 to 0.15 whereas deciduous trees (Broad Leaf Types) have an Albedo value of about 0.15 to 0.18 meaning that Conifer Forests will always look darker.

From a compositional standpoint the darkness of the trees gives weight to the sides of the image forcing the viewers eye into the image, it also sets the desired emotional resonance when viewing the image, which IMHO is the point, all that aside "Each to their own" as they say.  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel                   

Could all well be and true. What counts in the end is how it looks, correct albedo levels or incorrect albedo levels. With increasing the translucency I mean it should make the needles a bit brighter and slightly more shiny. If you compare contrasts and lighting of the surrounding areas you'll see that they don't match.
It's as simple as that and not that complicated.
I think your compositional explanation is more feasible :)

rcallicotte

Perhaps the fact that the contrast in the image is so strong that the conifers look black.  That is unnatural and maybe this is what was wanted.  Don't know.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

buzzzzz1

Everything looks ok to me. Just up the atmo quality if you render it again because I think it's a keeper.
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Kranky

I set transluency on all plants (trees, bushes, grass) to about 0.4 to 0.5. But most of the trees look so dark because of the shadows of the clouds.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Kranky on February 03, 2009, 03:17:01 AM
I set transluency on all plants (trees, bushes, grass) to about 0.4 to 0.5. But most of the trees look so dark because of the shadows of the clouds.

I can tell you when I load a couple of different models and place them next to each other and giving them all the same translucent settings for the leaves etc. They will all end up looking different.
All these settings are very arbitrary and should be revised in every new scene.
These settings don't apply for every model as well as not for every scene.
Maybe that's something everybody should keep in mind.
Don't want to sound like a tutor, just thinking along :)