The big one - *V5* Wide Screen Render

Started by FrankB, February 09, 2009, 11:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Hey,

for a change, I thought I should render another cloud ;D

I've got the lighting close the real thing, I think, and have been able to improve the shapes - closer, but not like the real thing yet. What do you think, please let me know.

Cheers,
Frank

Tangled-Universe

Haha, this is awesome :) I just posted about a new version of clouds I'm rendering right now and I can tell you: they look nearly the same like yours. Fractal shape, lighting etc. Haven't seen the final render yet, but anyway.

These look very good! Did you still use the same base of your cloud-package for these clouds or did you choose another approach?

FrankB

Hi Martin,

yes this is based on the cumulus pack, but it's one (small) evolutionary step ahead, mostly because of changes in the lighting strategy. I figured there are many ways for a proper lighting, all of which deliver similar, but not identical results. Of course, once perfected, I will update the cumulus pack (yes, it will be delivered automatically to everyone who has it).

I will most likely render a few variations (especially on shape details) and post them here. I would like to get feedback then which version looks best.

Cheers,
Frank

PS: sorry for the boring terrain, it's just a placeholder I'm using over and over again while developing new skies.

Volker Harun

I admit, that I tried the settings you were propagating in several threads and I do use some and abandon others ...

It just depends on some scenes I guess ... and tast of course.

The lighting here is very pleasing and realistic.
Stille one point about clouds is missing ... the whispiness, which is part of any cloud (more or less visible and even harder to spot on far distances).
It looks like you are on a good way!

(And I do like that terrain, but :-)

rcallicotte

Do a favor for me and pull your image above alongside of the photo from the Real thread (in Image Thread) and tell me these aren't almost alike.

It's very close.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

What about that?

domdib

One curious thing - the whitest parts of the cloud don't seem to get as white as real clouds. Maybe a bit of cheating with supplementary lighting is in order??

FrankB

no, the sun is rather low, and the atmo density is slightly above default in this image.
I forgot to make color adjustments in post to make up for it.

Cheers,
Frank

rcallicotte

I'm not sure, Frank.  This is awesome in height and basic structure, but comparing with that photo it just doesn't match the smaller parts with the dark edges.  I wonder if there's something that could be done on the programming side to make the default easier to get to these sorts of clouds?  I'm not even sure what I'm asking.

FrankB

@ calico: you're right.

what about his one then:

Tangled-Universe

Oh yeah! You nearly nailed it there Frank! :)
I think you should increase your camera angle or position the cloud further away, because I think these look even more better at slightly greater distance!

Martin

RArcher

I like this last one, but I agree it should be raised up a fair bit.

rcallicotte

Holy Puffs, Batman!!   ;D

This one is about as perfect as I've seen. 

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: RArcher on February 10, 2009, 09:20:30 AM
I like this last one, but I agree it should be raised up a fair bit.

I think you misunderstood my comment Ryan. By increasing the camera angle I mean increasing the FOV and thus zooming out.
Or position the camera a couple of hundred meters to the back.

RArcher

Ahh, you just want a bigger view.  I would still like it raised up a 1000m or so. ;D