Parting the Sea

Started by Mohawk20, February 13, 2009, 11:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Quote from: calico on March 03, 2009, 12:10:59 PM
I agree with Seth.  Better POV.
And I agree with calico ;)
Is it just me or is the water a bit green? Isn't it supposed to be the Red Sea? ;D
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Mohawk20

Quote from: MacGyver on March 04, 2009, 03:09:37 AM
Quote from: calico on March 03, 2009, 12:10:59 PM
I agree with Seth.  Better POV.
And I agree with calico ;)
Is it just me or is the water a bit green? Isn't it supposed to be the Red Sea? ;D

Uhhhhhhh, welllllll, erm, let me think here for a moment... The red sea had green algae just like any other sea right?

But seriously, this is what wikipedia says about the name:
Quote from: Wikipedia
Red Sea is a direct translation of the Greek Erythra Thalassa (Ερυθρά Θάλασσα), Latin Mare Rubrum, Arabic Al-Baḥr Al-Aḥmar (البحر الأحمر), and Tigrinya Qeyyiḥ bāḥrī (ቀይሕ ባሕሪ).

The name of the sea may signify the seasonal blooms of the red-coloured (Archabactera) Trichodesmium erythraeum near the water's surface.[3] Some suggest that it refers to the mineral-rich red mountains nearby which are called Harei Edom (הרי אדום). Edom, meaning "ruddy complexion", is also an alternative Hebrew name for the red-faced biblical character Esau (brother of Jacob), and the nation descended from him, the Edomites, which in turn provides yet another possible origin for Red Sea.[citation needed]

Another hypothesis is that the name comes from the Himyarite, a local group whose own name means red.[citation needed]

Yet another theory favored by some modern scholars is that the name red is referring to the direction South, just as the Black Sea's name may refer to North. The basis of this theory is that some Asiatic languages used color words to refer to the cardinal directions[4]. Herodotus on one occasion uses Red Sea and Southern Sea interchangeably.[5]

A final theory suggests that it was named so because it borders the Egyptian Desert which the ancient Egyptians called the Dashret or "red land"; therefore it would have been the sea of the red land.

So the water stays green! ;D
Howgh!

PG

I like this new pov, the waterline on the top should be a smooth curve rather than a drop though, to give the water a sense of flowing and to make it look even less like terrain.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Mohawk20

Quote from: PG on March 04, 2009, 09:21:27 AM
I like this new pov, the waterline on the top should be a smooth curve rather than a drop though, to give the water a sense of flowing and to make it look even less like terrain.

True, I thought about this... I think a small change to the painted shaders edges should suffice to smoothen the edges...

[Edit]Had to add some paintwork, colour adjust didn't work as well as I suspected... But is this better? (See below...)[/Edit]
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Cool, yeah.  Grainy, but this has promise.  COOL.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

PG

Better, the top is about right, maybe a little more. Now the bottom looks like a pond though, maybe some larger waves would help, after all the water's supposed to be pulling to either side so there'd be some turbulence.

rcallicotte

Actually, there was dry ground.   ;D

PG

Well ok :D but surely you'd expect to see the effect of two waterfalls when you look at it.

Mohawk20

Well, I might actually make the ground less reflective, to make it look more like mud, because the water stayed upright for a while after the pulling back, enabling the Israelites to "go into the midst of the sea on the dry ground..."
But since it was some kind of wind-like effect that made the water stand up like walls (at least, according to Moses), I might want to roughen up the water near the edges...
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Mohawk, if you get it like you want it, please post your results.

Mahnmut

Did I mention that I like the new POV?
Its strange, but in this case I think the higher POV gives a better impression of scale.
I really like the transparency in the last but one.
I am trying to achieve a similar effect for this image that i made before transparent water was available,

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2353.0

but I don´t get it. its either to intense in the colours or nearly white.
I really would appreciate some advice.

Best Regards,
Jan

Mohawk20

I suggest to place the sun behind the ice mountain, plug a powerfractal in the volume1 input of the water shader, increase the volume density to around 0.5 at least, set decay distance to 500 and transparency to 1 and see what happens. You can then increase settings to your liking. It's still a bit trial and error...
Howgh!

Mahnmut

Thanks, thats a start.
Some of the values I wouldn´t have guessed.

Mohawk20

Below the Moses figure in a Poser render.
When I export the model as obj the beard disappears, and when I export as lwo the textures aren't mapped correctly. Merging the two in PoseRay leads to overlapping issues, so it might be while until I get it figured out...
Howgh!

MacGyver

Very good idea involving Moses into the scene... I suppose he'll be viewed from behind? Otherwise the face seems a bit too young for a man over 70 ;D
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine