Parting the Sea

Started by Mohawk20, February 13, 2009, 11:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Pretty cool! I love the look of the water on the left. Quite some render time though. There are elements of the scene you left in that might not have been necessary though, yes? Seems like this kind of image ought to be do-able in a shorter time. Admire your persistence though. ;D

- Oshyan

reck

Mohawk I love this render and the water turned out really quite nice in the end.

Do you plan to do a tutorial for the wiki on how you created this image?

Mohawk20

A tutorial... hmmm, no promises  ;)

And thanks Oshyan. The water on the left looks so nice because the planet surface below/behind it has a reflective shader. So what you see between the water extends through the water. I guess that's what caused the long render time, but it's needed for the nice water.

And thank you all for the nice comments of course  ;D
Howgh!

Luminos

Well done mohawk, i take my hat off to you. What did the final render time come to out of curiosity?

Quote from: reck on April 07, 2009, 03:56:22 AM
Do you plan to do a tutorial for the wiki on how you created this image?
I second that Turtoral motion.
WoooOOooo I am WinDeXTor! I will clean your Soul! HA Ha ha (Echoing Laugh here)

Mohawk20

Quote from: Luminos on April 07, 2009, 08:04:02 AM
What did the final render time come to out of curiosity?

About 420 hours.

Well, perhaps a tutorial then. But what I did was very simple, so it won't be a big one...
Howgh!

Mohawk20

>:( >:( >:( Aaaaargh  >:( >:( >:(

The new crop was almost done, after 500 hours. But just before finishing, my brother plugs a buggy device into the wall socket and the fusebox shuts down.
That means: 500 hours GONE  :-[

I don't know if I'm going to render it again soon...

But I cán make that tutorial.
Where would you like to see it?
Howgh!

MacGyver

Maybe you can find someone with a spiffy quadcore who can render it for you? :-\ Aaaah, it's such a pity :'(
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

rcallicotte

Sorry to hear about this, Mohawk.  Maybe someday we will find some ways to build an inexpensive render farm and have it connected to a UPS.   ;D

Moses must be heartbroken...sorry, I couldn't resist.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

Quote from: calico on May 21, 2009, 08:37:27 AM
Sorry to hear about this, Mohawk.  Maybe someday we will find some ways to build an inexpensive render farm and have it connected to a UPS.   ;D

Moses must be heartbroken...sorry, I couldn't resist.

Hahahaha  ;D  He will be crying himself to sleep tonight  :'( :P
Howgh!

Cyber-Angel

Mohawk, just a suggestion, could you not send the file to one of the render farms that do TG2 and let them do the rendering donkey work for you? Sorry to here about the wasted time.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel     

rcallicotte

As long as those tablets don't broken again...

Quote from: Mohawk20 on May 21, 2009, 08:40:22 AM

Hahahaha  ;D  He will be crying himself to sleep tonight  :'( :P
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on May 21, 2009, 10:10:38 AM
Mohawk, just a suggestion, could you not send the file to one of the render farms that do TG2 and let them do the rendering donkey work for you? Sorry to here about the wasted time.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel     

Well, that would be a good idea, apart from the fact they ask money and I just bought the Xfrog plant bundle... But thanks for thinking along!
Howgh!

Mohawk20

http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Terragen_2_Tutorials#Parting_Sea_Tutorial

I just made a first set-up for my tutorial in the Planetside Wiki.
It's very basic, no pictures or anything. I'm still learning the wiki system, so it might take a while before it looks good.

But if you want to try your hand at it already, use the above link.
Howgh!

Zairyn Arsyn

Quote from: MacGyver on April 04, 2009, 04:48:43 PM
Couldn't you part the render time instead of the sea? ;D
lol.
Matt could probably do it for him :D :D :D :D :D :D

WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

PG

Yeah I reckon for a render farm to do just one frame you're looking at £100 ($160)
Figured out how to do clicky signatures